• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Just about to make my first catch

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 9:46 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So... I'm excited to finally start my first antfarm. I've been doing lots of research on the interwebs but I'm not certain when the best time to catch my queen during noctual flight is.
As I'm writing this I'm sitting by an ants nest with 1000s of winged queens looking at me... Problem is that I'm not sure if I'm suppose to catch one of them now or look for one tomorrow... How great of a risk is there that the queen I catch from the ants nest will be unfertilized if I get one now ... Thank you for your assistance ant keepers

#2 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 9 2023 - 9:53 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
They sound like they’re about to fly. If it’s night use a black light to catch queens. Look for dealates(queens without wings)

#3 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:37 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you good sir! I've just caught 4 dealates with ease. They are everywhere on the ground in the garden. Black Lightning is effortless here in Sweden and Norway since we have no sundown during summer.

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:40 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Do you know what species they are? Good luck!

#5 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:41 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is there any good homepages where I can get help identifying the species?

#6 Online antsriondel - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:44 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Post the pictures here along with some information where you caught and its size https://www.formicul...nt-id-requests/.

• Ernteameise likes this

#7 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:46 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Take some pictures, and also take some pictures of the nest where you saw them swarming from.

There are several Europeans on this forum (including me) and we could take a stab at helping you identifying the species.

Just make sure you take some clear non-blurry pictures.

#8 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 10:49 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Challenge accepted! I'm getting my macro lense 😊 Thanks a lot guys
  • antsriondel likes this

#9 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 11:30 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The queens are about 10mm. Worker ants are around 6-8 mm. Caught in southern Sweden. Garden habitat around trees.

Attached Images

• PXL_20230709_190351388.PORTRAIT.jpg
  • PXL_20230709_190344897.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
  • PXL_20230709_190309577.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20230709_185449570.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20230709_185323066.jpg
  • PXL_20230709_185107033.jpg

#10 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 9 2023 - 11:31 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Looks like lasius niger group sp.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 9 2023 - 11:32 AM.

#11 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 11:39 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What setup would you recommend? After testtube

#12 Online antsriondel - Posted July 9 2023 - 11:52 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

What setup would you recommend? After testtube

That would depend. Do you have a large or small budget? Are you focused on aesthetically pleasing setups, or on setups that are proven to be great for ants?

#13 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 11:56 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you... I'll do more research on this sp. and come up with something great

#14 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 9 2023 - 12:37 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, seeing these ants coming out of the tree...

and them being VERY shiny....

I actually think that the black shiny ants are Lasius fuliginosus- they are a species that lives in wood!

They are also rely on social parasitism in founding a colony- the fuliginosus queen will attack and kill the host queen of a different Lasius species and take over.

They will not found a state by themselves.

Also, if you are living in a wooden house or have a lot of wood in your flat, you have to have good escape proofing, since Lasius fuliginosus has been known to escape and destroy wood in houses. 

However.

The queen you got there on the last picture is not very shiny and I also suspect that what you got there is a Lasius niger.

But the queen on the first picture, that queen actually looks shiny!

So actually, yes, you caught queens, but I think they are of two different species (Lasius niger, which nests in the ground and Lasius fuliginosus which nests in wood and is a social parasite).

You just have to see- if she lays eggs, then you will have Lasius niger (the Lasius niger queen I caught 2 days ago has already laid eggs, so you do not have long to wait!).

If it does not work and she does not lay eggs, you have Lasius fuliginosus and they need to kill the queen and take over the nest of a different species and they won't create a state by themselves.

#15 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 9 2023 - 2:33 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Well, seeing these ants coming out of the tree...
and them being VERY shiny....
I actually think that the black shiny ants are Lasius fuliginosus- they are a species that lives in wood!
They are also rely on social parasitism in founding a colony- the fuliginosus queen will attack and kill the host queen of a different Lasius species and take over.
They will not found a state by themselves.
Also, if you are living in a wooden house or have a lot of wood in your flat, you have to have good escape proofing, since Lasius fuliginosus has been known to escape and destroy wood in houses.

However.
The queen you got there on the last picture is not very shiny and I also suspect that what you got there is a Lasius niger.
But the queen on the first picture, that queen actually looks shiny!

So actually, yes, you caught queens, but I think they are of two different species (Lasius niger, which nests in the ground and Lasius fuliginosus which nests in wood and is a social parasite).

You just have to see- if she lays eggs, then you will have Lasius niger (the Lasius niger queen I caught 2 days ago has already laid eggs, so you do not have long to wait!).
If it does not work and she does not lay eggs, you have Lasius fuliginosus and they need to kill the queen and take over the nest of a different species and they won't create a state by themselves.

The gaster is too large to be parasitic. Many ants get shiny in the light but those workers are definitely fuliginosus.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 9 2023 - 2:34 PM.

• Ernteameise likes this

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 9 2023 - 2:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The queens in the tubes are all lasius niger. The ones in the photo with the workers on wood are fuliginosus.
  • antsriondel likes this

#17 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 9 2023 - 2:56 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Oh okay. Sorry for the misunderstand.

#18 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 9 2023 - 5:20 PM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all the input! I presumed that the queens that I found on the ground only a couple of meters away from the colony making 1000s of alates, in the pear tree, were of the same species. I might be wrong though.
I really hope that all 6 of my newly cough queens are Niger sp. And not parasitic ants.. I don't want my first colonies to be a hassle and lots of drama

#19 Offline Penumbra - Posted July 16 2023 - 10:30 AM

Penumbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Update!!! 

From all the caught queens (6 of them); 2 died. One of the dead queen had a small brood pile  :sore:  I guess its part of the game.

Good news is that the other 4 Niger queens seem to be doing well; and at least 3 of them have a small brood pile I think.

I was tending to my garden just an hour ago and stumbled upon a colony of what I believe is a Lasius flavus colony.  Inside the nest was lots of alates. Would you guys recommend trying to keep this sp? What is your experience. 

They seem a bit small if you ask me... but i love their color. 

#20 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 16 2023 - 10:38 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Their close relative Lasius Brevicornis is my favorite ant to keep. I would recommend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users