• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

AntsTopia's Atta Cephalotes Journal

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 5 2023 - 1:30 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hi everyone! So as you know, I have been looking for leaf cutter queens. I was going to go the permit/legal way.When I was searching the Antscanada GAN farm page in the united states, New York section, I found a seller selling Atta Cephalotes colony 20-50 workers and a golf ball of fungus. It was $400. It listed the email and phone number. I considered this for a moment. Technically I am not breaking any laws by purchasing the colony. He probably did break a law. He lives in New York which is the state I now live in. So I bought it. Tell me if this was illegal or legal; it's probably is legal. Thanks!

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 5 2023 - 1:39 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Good luck! I hope it's legal and they aren't scamming you.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 5 2023 - 4:44 PM.

• AntsTopia likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2023 - 1:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I doubt this will end well, but fafo.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 5 2023 - 1:55 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I doubt this will end well, but fafo.

Honestly I agree with you. 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#5 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 5 2023 - 2:19 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Hi everyone! So as you know, I have been looking for leaf cutter queens. I was going to go the permit/legal way.When I was searching the Antscanada GAN farm page in the united states, New York section, I found a seller selling Atta Cephalotes colony 20-50 workers and a golf ball of fungus. It was $400. It listed the email and phone number. I considered this for a moment. Technically I am not breaking any laws by purchasing the colony. He probably did break a law. He lives in New York which is the state I now live in. So I bought it. Tell me if this was illegal or legal; it's probably is legal. Thanks!

it’s illegal and probably a scam.
  • AntsTopia likes this

#6 Offline OiledOlives - Posted July 5 2023 - 3:52 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Yes, you are still breaking the law. If the ants were imported illegally redistribution is still illegal.

In this case, the ants were certainly imported illegally because there is no A
cephalotes outside of museums/labs in NY and those are strictly regulated by the USDA. I also do not believe that Attina, especially Atta, can be found in greenhouses because the fungus is very susceptible to the fluctuations in temperature in shipping.

Please don't buy from this guy.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk
  • AntsTopia likes this

#7 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 5 2023 - 4:13 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I already did buy from him before i made the post. What should i do now?

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#8 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 5 2023 - 4:19 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

He says he will ship in the next week. Very suspicious indeed. Well i still have pay-pal as my protection in case he scams me. But honestly at this point now that i know its illegal I want him to scam me. Only time will tell, but jut pls don't make it a war-zone. If you want to fight about native vs nonnative take it somewhere else; only structured criticism. Ill update in the incoming weeks.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#9 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 5 2023 - 5:04 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

He says he will ship in the next week. Very suspicious indeed. Well i still have pay-pal as my protection in case he scams me. But honestly at this point now that i know it’s illegal I want him to scam me. Only time will tell, but jut pls don't make it a war-zone. If you want to fight about native vs nonnative take it somewhere else; only structured criticism. I’ll update in the incoming weeks.

what’s done is done and you already paid. It’s not gonna be the end of the world. Just keep them responsible and if you don’t want the colony, freeze it. If you can get your money back that would probably be the better option. Especially because you overpaid by like 300$. If you want fungus growers and near long Island then just grab some trachymyrmex septentrionalis. I know a spot if you want to know. They’re probably flying right now. I think they fly in mornings.
  • UtahAnts likes this

#10 Offline OiledOlives - Posted July 5 2023 - 6:28 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

He says he will ship in the next week. Very suspicious indeed. Well i still have pay-pal as my protection in case he scams me. But honestly at this point now that i know its illegal I want him to scam me. Only time will tell, but jut pls don't make it a war-zone. If you want to fight about native vs nonnative take it somewhere else; only structured criticism. Ill update in the incoming weeks.

Just tell the guy you don't want them anymore and cancel your order.

• AntsTopia likes this

#11 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 18 2023 - 3:21 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

The dude shipped it. I do not know why it took so long for shipment. USPS tracker says its in transit. Either this dude is legit and broke laws or he is sending me a bunch of tin cans. Only time will tell. 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#12 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 18 2023 - 3:25 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I tried to stop the order after you all told me that it was illegal but i got no response but the tracking. I guess i have to freeze the colony now? Give them to a museum? Suggestions people suggestions. 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2023 - 3:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Well, if you actually get it, give them the best care you can.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 18 2023 - 4:15 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Ant memes 101

Normal People: Oh, I just moved to New York, let Tetramorium Immigrans be my first colony/queen here!

Me: Get me some leaf cutter ants  B)

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#15 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 18 2023 - 4:21 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I tried to stop the order after you all told me that it was illegal but i got no response but the tracking. I guess i have to freeze the colony now? Give them to a museum? Suggestions people suggestions. 

Best tip at this point: Change title of journal to:

AntsTopia's ILLEGAL Atta Cephalotes Journal :lol:

If it was me, I'd be like F it and just hope they ACTUALLY send you something. I would fully document / record everything, like unboxing and whatnot. Is there any reviews for the guy you're buying from? I never buy something from someone that has no reviews and look into whether those reviews are authentic some way some how. I dunno how their whole system works over there at Antscanada. The antscanada guy has a facebook page and he seems to respond with some speed, him or a fellow employee of his. Should ask him his thought on the manner. But anyhow, document everything and if something goes wrong, you can use it to get your money back from paypal but don't bring up the whole "i know it's illegal" part with them. It's a sketchy transaction though, I don't know how paypal will handle it. If you got the ant just don't let it escape, be responsible and get us some nice vids and photos of  your ILLEGAL colony so we can blackmail you. ;)

Edited by BleepingBleepers, July 18 2023 - 4:22 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#16 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 18 2023 - 4:30 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
What’s done is done. Keep the ants and enjoy them. Freeze them when you’re done. Just continue as you would from the first post and don’t make the same mistake. You are not the first to purchase ants illegally and you certainly won’t be the last. The best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes. It’s not the end of the world.

#17 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 18 2023 - 4:33 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Best tip at this point: Change title of journal to:

AntsTopia's ILLEGAL Atta Cephalotes Journal :lol:

If it was me, I'd be like F it and just hope they ACTUALLY send you something. I would fully document / record everything, like unboxing and whatnot. Is there any reviews for the guy you're buying from? I never buy something from someone that has no reviews and look into whether those reviews are authentic some way some how. I dunno how their whole system works over there at Antscanada. The antscanada guy has a facebook page and he seems to respond with some speed, him or a fellow employee of his. Should ask him his thought on the manner. But anyhow, document everything and if something goes wrong, you can use it to get your money back from paypal but don't bring up the whole "i know it's illegal" part with them. It's a sketchy transaction though, I don't know how paypal will handle it. If you got the ant just don't let it escape, be responsible and get us some nice vids and photos of  your ILLEGAL colony so we can blackmail you. ;)

I did not know that it was illegal and i tried cancelling the orders once I had the info. I tried to do the right thing but I can not do anything about it. First what you are doing is completely wrong, you are trashing my journal. Send me a PM so we can have a conversation. Pls remove your comment and I am asking you nicely.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#18 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 18 2023 - 4:42 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

^ Errr :thinking: ...... I'm just kinda saying what others have been saying along with giving you my honest reply to what you asked.

The whole blackmailing and changing the journal name is just a joke. I mean, you're the one that did the purchasing without researching prior. We're just tagging along, didn't mean anything negative about it.

Edit: Also PM'd ya if you want me to remove it, but since you quoted me, you gotta edit your post too if you want it fully removed.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, July 18 2023 - 4:44 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#19 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 18 2023 - 5:13 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Just junk this journal and start another one when they arrive. I’ll read it

#20 Offline CAantz - Posted July 18 2023 - 6:49 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Despite the rules, it would be awesome for you to get an atta colony. In my opinion, those are some of the coolest ants around. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users