• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Camponotus and other ants eat/destroy wooden homes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chall - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:41 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
My friend is very afraid of getting ants as he is worried about the foundation of his home and all that (lives in a mostly wooden home) is this a valid fear? I was always told they only eat rotting wood.. please let me know (:

#2 Offline Chall - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:43 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
I might add I find different sources saying different things many peat companies say they destroy homes while other less bias parties say they don’t eat wood at all and just take over old termite tunnels. All very conflicting and confusing…

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 2 2023 - 3:00 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Only some Camponotus speices nest in wood and wood with high water damage at that. Other speices may eat food left in your house but I have tapinoma in my house and they don't do much. It is very unlikely for them to escape.
  • futurebird likes this

#4 Offline futurebird - Posted July 2 2023 - 4:45 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

The only ants that will chew parts of a wooden house are the larger Camponotus species. Their majors are just robust enough to work softer wood. They are so ineffective against healthy wood that many keepers keep these ants in wooden nests. Camponotus pennalyvanicus is the most potentially destructive. These are just about the largest ants you will see in the US near a home. Big, black.

I keep them as pets in a hardwood nest and they have not been able to alter it for two years. They can chew: leaves, rotten wood, bone, cork, drywall. 

If you see Camponotus pennalyvanicus in your home they are probably there to stay warm and drink your fresh water more than chewing wood. They do not eat wood like termites and only will chew it to make a home, in nature they hollow out the rotten portions of living or dead trees to make their homes. When you see them inside follow them and try to find out where they are caping out. Sometimes simply sealing holes can solve the problem. Other times it may be a warning that part of your wooden home has water damage!

The nests found in houses are often "satellite nests" these are nests with a few 100 workers and some brood-- but no queen. The queen is likely in a nearby forest or wood pile, deep in a log with 1000s of her daughters. The interlopers are in your house because it's warm. Because they have found clean water to drink (check for leaking pipes!) and they don't mind your food scraps or eating other insect pests like house spiders, carpet beetles, roaches, etc. 

Make it dry and cold inside, seal their entrances and exits and clean up the goodies and they will decide that hanging out in the woodpile makes more sense. 

The ants in your photo will not chew wood at all. They just don't have the jaws for the task!

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users