• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica queen I think? - Utah

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Izzy - Posted June 26 2023 - 8:42 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

I think this is a Formica queen. Found it in the mountains of northern Utah under a rock. Is it in fact Formica and if so what kind? Thanks!

Attached Images

• queenie.jpeg

• UtahAnts likes this

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 26 2023 - 8:48 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Camponotus. Head looks somewhat skinny so I think Tanaemyrmex, probably one of the many species lumped under Camponotus vicinus.
  • UtahAnts likes this

#3 Offline Izzy - Posted June 26 2023 - 8:50 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

Great, thanks! There were a few Formica colonies nearby that had thatch hills so I thought it might be but I haven't seen any Formica queens before, but yeah I think you're right. Does look a lot like a Camponotus queen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users