• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen died, leaving one worker and eggs...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline prettycode - Posted August 15 2015 - 4:24 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I have two camponotus pennsylvanicus queens. One queen has a worker, one doesn't.

Actually, the queen with the worker is now dead. But the worker's alive, and she left behind probably 10 - 15 eggs.

Can I take the worker and 10 - 15 eggs, and give them to the other queen that's still alive? Is that safe?

Edited by prettycode, August 15 2015 - 4:24 PM.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 15 2015 - 4:54 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

personally, i believe that brood boosting can cause the queens reproductive cycle to become "warped", preventing her from creating large amounts of brood and raising them to adult hood. however, this can easily be fixed by waiting until the queen produces her own brood and gains her first batch of nanitics and giving the colony a very small (5-6 items or less) pile of brood. this has worked for me in the past. the damage becomes less sevre as the number of workers in the queen's colony increases. as for your orphaned worker, transfers can be done, but usually end in failure. try cooling both tubes and introducing the worker the queen while they are still slow moving and cold. if this does not work, remove the worker and try again. if all else fails, release the worker outside. hope this helps :)

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 16 2015 - 5:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have two camponotus pennsylvanicus queens. One queen has a worker, one doesn't.

Actually, the queen with the worker is now dead. But the worker's alive, and she left behind probably 10 - 15 eggs.

Can I take the worker and 10 - 15 eggs, and give them to the other queen that's still alive? Is that safe?

Considering you are in Washington, I think what you think are C.pennsylvanicus are actually C.modoc. Sorry about the queen. :(

• Tyrone likes this

#4 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 5:54 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I see no problems with boosting. Do the standard procedure.

• LC3 and Tyrone like this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users