• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wooden ant nest.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tanks - Posted June 26 2023 - 3:11 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

How would I go about making a wooden ant nest? I have a piece of oak, would that work alright? Also I have a dremal could I use that? Are there any other things I need?

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted June 30 2023 - 1:57 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

First you need a plane surface. It needs to be very flat so there will be no gaps. Next you'll need a piece of plexi-glass that fits over this surface. You might even be able to use glass if you plan on the nest lying flat. 

You'll need to drill holes in the plexi-glass so you can screw it down to the wood. Or drill hole in the wood and place magnets to hold a glass piece in place. Most people use plexi-glass with wood since, it's easier to cut to fit on your wood. 

Start by using a drill that matches the size of connecting tube you use to make an entrance (possibly more than one) for the nest. This could come from the side or the back. Use the dremal to create a chamber that connects to the entrance hole. Create more chambers, always checking how it looks when you cover it with your transparent material.

That's really all there is to it. In some ways it's less complex than making a plaster nest, but the same general ideas apply-- only you don't need to make a humidity chamber since many species will nest in wood happily without one. 

(I've made a guide for making a plaster nest... maybe I'll do one on wooden nests some day.)

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline Tanks - Posted June 30 2023 - 11:14 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

Thanks!

First you need a plane surface. It needs to be very flat so there will be no gaps. Next you'll need a piece of plexi-glass that fits over this surface. You might even be able to use glass if you plan on the nest lying flat. 

You'll need to drill holes in the plexi-glass so you can screw it down to the wood. Or drill hole in the wood and place magnets to hold a glass piece in place. Most people use plexi-glass with wood since, it's easier to cut to fit on your wood. 

Start by using a drill that matches the size of connecting tube you use to make an entrance (possibly more than one) for the nest. This could come from the side or the back. Use the dremal to create a chamber that connects to the entrance hole. Create more chambers, always checking how it looks when you cover it with your transparent material.

That's really all there is to it. In some ways it's less complex than making a plaster nest, but the same general ideas apply-- only you don't need to make a humidity chamber since many species will nest in wood happily without one. 

(I've made a guide for making a plaster nest... maybe I'll do one on wooden nests some day.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users