• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Steam_funk's main antkeeping journal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline steam_funk - Posted June 25 2023 - 5:11 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

Now that I have graduated high school and have more time on my hands, I've decided to get back into ant keeping and have started 3 new colonies for now.

The first is a Camponotus Floridanus queen I caught about a week ago, she somehow wandered into my house and I found her in the bathroom.

It's been a good while since our house has been sprayed with indoor pesticide, and she seems active and has laid a fair number of eggs so I think she is fine.

The second is a three-queen colony of Solenopsis Invicta I caught two days ago.

I've put them in a Hitechants founding formicaria rather than a test tube so that feeding them with the first generation will be easier.

They've already created an impressive ball of eggs and are cooperating, so I am very interested to see how their polygyne develops.

The third is a five-queen test tube colony of what I am fairly certain is Lasius Americanus, which I also caught yesterday.

They have not laid eggs yet, but all queens seem to be getting along. I distinctly remember raising this species before without hibernation, so I will try it that way again.

I do not have pictures yet as I want to avoid stressing them out so early with the obnoxious flash of my macro camera, but I will probably try to get some good photos in about a week.

I also have a senior friend whose brother in middle school has gotten way into ant-keeping,

he does a ton of research and has a huge colony of trap jaws and has even started a Trachymyrmex septentrionalis colony with a few queens, so I will be sure to recommend him to this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users