• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help identify ant from northern California, USA (August 11, 2015)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dmcccdmn - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:21 PM

dmcccdmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

These ants recently invaded my house although I've seen them in the backyard for a while. These ants are very very fast and easily startle when I breathe over them. They come out both day and night. They seem to be black color with the naked eyes. I'm already having a hard time getting rid of grease/thief ants in the house for a while and now this second invasion. Help!

Attached Images

• Ant1.jpg
  • Ant2.jpg
  • Ant3.jpg
  • Ant4.jpg

Edited by dmcccdmn, August 11 2015 - 9:24 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 5:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like Linepithema humile (Argentine Ants). Where are you located?

#3 Offline dmcccdmn - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:25 AM

dmcccdmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I am in SF Bay Area. I looked up Linepithema humile and it does look like it. You are good. Looks like this species is known to be found in California:

Yesterday, I managed to kill the queen when it emerged from its nest. But from wikipedia, it looks like this species has many queen in each colony, so eliminating one queen does not kill the colony. That is really too bad. I am currently using Terro with limited success in drawing it to feed on it.

Thank you for helping to ID it.

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:31 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Argentine ants also have some of the largest super colonies of all ants, currently there seems to be 2 major super colonies one of which spreaded all over the world.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh this species is infamous in California. If you are anywhere but far away from any human development (particularly irrigation), you will probably see them more than any other species.

• LC3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users