• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Request ID, Portugal (Europe), June 24th 2023

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Formiga - Posted June 24 2023 - 10:04 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Hi guys!

Yesterday I was taking my hike on my usual place where I've caught my couple last ID requests, and I've found these 2 queens on the dirt road between the little pebbles. This place keeps on giving!

1. Location of collection

Portugal, Europe

2. Date of collection
June 24th 2023

3. Habitat of collection

Country side, in an area cultivated with an intensive Eucalyptus monoculture (as is most of my region) and some pine trees.

The dirt road is very dry with lots of little pebbles. Very near there is a place that can accumulate rain falls and make a pond and has juncus plants, but by now, as it is summer, it should be already dry or with some moisture as in the last week there have been a couple days of rain just perfect for their mating. I caught them a couple days after the rain.

The soil, very dry, is generally made out little rocks and pebbles.

The queens were walking on the dirt road (which is surrounded by a sort of juncus plants) at night fall.

I've found them on the surroundings of, what I believe, their own colony, and not far at all from workers.

A few meters away there are several colony holes on the ground. I don't know if there are several colonies or just a huge one with several holes.

4. Length

Huge, between 15 and 17mm.

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture

The head, the thorax and the last 2/3 of the gaster are black or very dark brown.

The legs are very dark brown or black, but the segments that are near the body (especially in the hind legs) are reddish brown.

The gaster is long and very "fat". It has 3 black shinier stripes. The 1st third of the gaster has a reddish brown color.

They have hairs on their gasters.

Please see the attached photos.

6. Distinguishing characteristics

Only one single petiole.

The gaster has rings, hairs, and a reddish brown hue spot on the beginning of the gaster. (Please refer to the photos.)

Apart from the queens' photos, I also attach photos of workers I've found nearby on that place's ground. They are the first two photos. These are around a week old when I was walking around and found them really cute with the red mark on their gasters and took some photos for fun. I intended to request you guys a worker ID but I would never dream a few days later and on the same spot coming across 2 queens!

They seem to be some sort of Camponotus (and they came from the same place where I found a (different) Camponotus) that ended up being a worker.

But these ants live in holes on the ground, not on trees. I've checked on https://ant-photo.eu and I couldn't find anything quite like them.

So what can they be?
As usual, many thanks guys!

Attached Images

• IMG_20230609_202815.jpg
  • IMG_20230609_202820.jpg
  • MVIMG_20230625_035945.jpg
  • MVIMG_20230625_040242.jpg
  • MVIMG_20230625_040345.jpg

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 25 2023 - 4:12 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Camponotus cruentatus
  • Formiga likes this

#3 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 25 2023 - 7:35 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

Pretty sure that's campotonus vagus

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 25 2023 - 9:56 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Reddish color on the anterior of the first tergite, gaster not as hairy, and the queen's head isn't nearly broad enough to be typical Camponotus sensu stricto like vagus.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, June 25 2023 - 10:01 AM.

• Formiga likes this

#5 Offline Formiga - Posted July 9 2023 - 4:01 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Reddish color on the anterior of the first tergite, gaster not as hairy, and the queen's head isn't nearly broad enough to be typical Camponotus sensu stricto like vagus.

I'll go for Camponotus cruentatus. @Yourbasicantkeeper, thanks for your hint anyway.

I'm just a nooby-noob-noob, especially regarding ant identification, but things seem more in the direction of Camponotus cruentatus, including the photos that I post above with the ones found online. The red spot seems... spot on, pun intended.

Last time I've checked them, about a week ago, one of them had already laid eggs. Must... resist... temptation... of... constantly... wanting... to... check... on... them...

I'm really happy for having caught these queens, I find this species absolutely beautiful and I'm really eager to see them starting off!

For what I've found online, they seem to be somewhat like Messors, regarding conditions.

Are they an easy species to take care of? Do they have any peculiar attention needs I should be aware of?

Thanks Gentlemen! Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users