• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Solenopsis molesta sp.

solenopsis molesta sp. finwins thief ants queens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted June 20 2023 - 8:10 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

On June 17th and June 20th at around 7:00pm to 8:30pm I caught numerous flying alates of a species in the Solenopsis molesta complex. They were all capture using a large fish tank net I happed to have lying around. I also captured many males with them so I put them in the test tubes too. In the batch of queens from thee 20th I witnessed the queens mating with the males in the cup I collected them in so at least some of them are fertile. I also just checked on the batch of queens from the 17th and they are starting to remove their wings. So far none of the queens have died however all the males from the first batch are. I am housing them all in groups of up to six in each test tube.

This is the largest group of queens from the first batch.

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

This is a photo of the second batch in the cup.

IMG_0036.jpeg  

Edited by FinWins, June 20 2023 - 8:14 PM.

• ANTdrew, AntsCali098, Myrmecology and 1 other like this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted June 21 2023 - 10:38 AM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Can't wait for some documentation on these girls! Very exciting news!

• FinWins likes this

if you want to get in contact with me, here's my Discord:

Discord: hoth#0177

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis, molesta, sp., finwins, thief ants, queens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users