• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Chromaiodes care question.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Quackmin - Posted June 20 2023 - 3:50 PM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Today my Camponotus Chromaiodes colony had it's first meal. Some wildflower honey, I was wondering when should I next feed them and what? Should I give them a cricket leg?

#2 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 20 2023 - 4:27 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

You should feed them every 2-3 days depending on how big your colony is and definitely feed them that cricket leg because they need protein.

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#3 Offline Quackmin - Posted June 20 2023 - 4:41 PM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ohh ok cool thank you. They have 3 works and more on the way. Additional question, should I feed them both some honey and the cricket leg or just one of them?

#4 Offline Quackmin - Posted June 20 2023 - 5:10 PM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Another question for feeder crickets, could I keep feeding my colony from one cricket? Like leg by leg? If so should I refrigerate the dead cricket? Or should I buy a new cricket for each feeding?

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2023 - 6:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Read this: https://www.formicul...view=getnewpost

As for crickets, buy 25 or so and freeze them all. Thaw crickets as needed to feed your colony. Feeding them protein and sugar at the same time is fine. Be careful with honey, though, because it can have pesticides in it. Sugar water is probably safer.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Quackmin - Posted June 20 2023 - 6:12 PM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks!!  And any specific kind of sugar?

#7 Offline rptraut - Posted June 20 2023 - 7:04 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello Quackmin;
I take frozen crickets and cut them up while still frozen. First, I remove the legs and cut off and garbage the spiny part. Slash the hard coating so the ants can get inside the “drumstick”. Then, I hold the body with wide tweezers and cut them in half lengthwise with a scalpel. Then I cut each piece in half again. I fed my founding niger colony small pieces of food every other day.

I keep food pieces in Petri dishes in the freezer. They thaw quickly each time I feed my ants. I have separate dishes for chicken, liver, raw pork, flies, mealworms etc as well as crickets. Rotating through the dishes makes it easy to give my ants variety in their diet.
RPT
  • ANTdrew likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#8 Offline Quackmin - Posted June 21 2023 - 9:47 AM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thank you guys for the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users