• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where to get aac/aircrete/ytong

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cfreidsma - Posted June 19 2023 - 8:32 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan
I live in Michigan, and any time to try asking a local store they just look at me like I am crazy.

#2 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted June 19 2023 - 8:35 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Try searching/asking for Firebrick, I've also heard it's called that in the US.

Edit: I could've sworn I'd heard it referred to as Firebrick, but a quick search says that might be something else.

Edited by FelixTheAnter, June 19 2023 - 8:37 PM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2023 - 1:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Firebrick is an entirely different substance. Building your own nests out of gypsum plaster is a better route here in the US. There are many high quality tutorials on here.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline cfreidsma - Posted June 20 2023 - 8:50 AM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan
I've been able to get firebrick, but it is so hard to carve.

#5 Offline aznphenom - Posted June 20 2023 - 9:03 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

They come in different hardness. Some are super soft. To a point that some people don't like it because it creates a lot of dust

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#6 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted June 21 2023 - 10:20 AM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Hi, as a fellow who also lives in Michigan, I had pretty much the same problem.

In the US, there are little producers of AAC, and if there are producers, they are construction companies that sell in bulk, not small business people that would commonly sell to hobbiest. My solution is too buy AAC bricks from people on Ebay or Esty, although obviously this is very sketchy and not very professional. I've came to the conclusion that unless you want to buy online from random people, there's little to no hope for obtaining AAC in a place like Michigan (and the United States in general). In any case, I'm personally not a very big fan of AAC since a lot of species can dig through it, and trash/debries can get stuck in between the pores of it.

Also for note, like said previously, Firebrick and AAC are not the same thing. Firebricks a completely different material and is multiple times tougher to carve through compared to a material like AAC.

if you want to get in contact with me, here's my Discord:

Discord: hoth#0177

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users