• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello! from Texas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cmcalistert - Posted June 19 2023 - 10:13 AM

Cmcalistert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello everyone, I've been trying to catch a Pogonomyrmex Queen for a couple years now.  I have a a nice nest that I have been protecting for years now just behind my house. My issue is that last year I wasn't able to get any queens to successfully found a colony. Now this year I have been watching since February just to be sure but now I am worried as I STILL haven't seen ANY elates this year. to answer your questions ...no... i wasnt trying to catch queens at the mound. i have always collected from a block or 2 away. I have heard that Pogonomyrmex were a Hybrid species that needed to crossbreed with another in order to produce all their needed classes. Ah yes i found it.  P. barbatus and P. rugosus. What I'm getting to is i need to find a source for these 2 ant queens here in TEXAS. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!                 

#2 Offline antsriondel - Posted June 19 2023 - 11:41 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Welcome!

#3 Offline Cmcalistert - Posted June 19 2023 - 12:29 PM

Cmcalistert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

lol... thank you for the welcome. I'm sorry I just realized that I really didn't introduce myself, but instead blurted out what's been on my mind. I am glad to be here. For the most part my love of ants comes from my love of the Texas Horned Toad. I have kept ants off and on through out my life but have never kept it going. I have caught and started many colonies over the years but have never tried to take on a colony that could grow as large as these harvesters. In the past I have always been happy to keep fire ants or sometimes carpenter ants, as these guys are always easy to find. Now days I have a bigger budget and more patience too. Last year I decided i wanted to create a huge uncle milton formicarium on the wall. I have used the front and back glass from an old broken 100 gal aquarium to make a JUMBO sized ant world. the total enclosure will be 3' tall 8' long and only 3" depth. I would love to showcase this formicarium at my shop in which i hope it will start a lot of great conversations with my customers. THERE! a little about me. hope everyone enjoys and has a GREAT day!

• antsriondel likes this

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted June 19 2023 - 12:57 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

lol... thank you for the welcome. I'm sorry I just realized that I really didn't introduce myself, but instead blurted out what's been on my mind. I am glad to be here. For the most part my love of ants comes from my love of the Texas Horned Toad. I have kept ants off and on through out my life but have never kept it going. I have caught and started many colonies over the years but have never tried to take on a colony that could grow as large as these harvesters. In the past I have always been happy to keep fire ants or sometimes carpenter ants, as these guys are always easy to find. Now days I have a bigger budget and more patience too. Last year I decided i wanted to create a huge uncle milton formicarium on the wall. I have used the front and back glass from an old broken 100 gal aquarium to make a JUMBO sized ant world. the total enclosure will be 3' tall 8' long and only 3" depth. I would love to showcase this formicarium at my shop in which i hope it will start a lot of great conversations with my customers. THERE! a little about me. hope everyone enjoys and has a GREAT day!

Do you have pictures of that? I would really like to see it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users