• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

odontomachus brunneus nest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MadDog - Posted June 17 2023 - 1:44 PM

MadDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRay City, Ga
Thought you guys would find this interesting. I've found 3 different nest sites thus far in my back yard. Came across this one today in the most unlikely place. I really hope to find a queen one day! Not willing to mess up an already established colony though to make it happen.9d06d7d48e5ee03e221bf13c6b1a73c0.jpg17c6f5f9105d068b2caad4c9b29cba29.jpg5ea764020e035d45a148fd7206b7cb13.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
  • FinWins likes this

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted June 17 2023 - 4:29 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Your best bet to get a queen would be to find a small wild colony 1-10 workers and collect that. As that will have little impact on the ecosystem and it means that the queen is fertile, or maybe you will just find a founding queen.

• MadDog likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline MadDog - Posted June 17 2023 - 5:24 PM

MadDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRay City, Ga
Thanks! Now that I know they're in my area, I'm definitely gonna be keeping my eye out for them. I was shocked to find them under this forgotten dog bowl.

#4 Offline MadDog - Posted June 19 2023 - 5:48 PM

MadDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRay City, Ga
Quick question on collecting young colonies. What would be the best approach as not to hurt the queen? I'm pretty sure there is a very small colony under one of the logs in my yard that I may try to collect.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2023 - 3:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best approach is to leave them be. Enjoy observing them in their natural habitat.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users