• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

50 year old Nerd's 1st colony (Lasius Niger)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ernteameise - Posted June 20 2023 - 12:26 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

Could he insulate part of the nest? Use one of these insulating mats underneath and only heat part of the nest which is not covered by the mat? Because using the heat of the aquarium light is a good idea- apart from the heating the whole nest bit.

• MrLunk likes this

#22 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 20 2023 - 12:44 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVelsen, Netherlands

Um, no.

28°C is absolutely too hot for Lasius niger and will likely kill them.

In my area their workers typically stop foraging if the ground temperatures exceed 30°C.

Also, never heat the whole nest from the bottom.

It's okay if only a small part of a nest is bottom-heated, like 25% of it.

The next problem here is, your 28°C is the air temperature. The temperature at the bottom of the tub is probably 30+.

You're also likely to end up with a flooded test tube, just due to the sheer amount of evaptoration and condensation.

Lasius niger is a temperate ant. They like heat, but they don't need it. They can do perfectly fine at around 20°C, they just need longer to develop.

Thanks so much for your elaborate reply and explanation...

This is why I will raise the ants off the lid with a plank of multiplex of 1.5cm thick witch will temper the temperature...
If that does not suffice I'll mount a plank on the wall approx 20 cm above the lid.... until I find a spot that's around 20-22 Celcius.

I Don't need the colony to develop fast, thanks for the tip.

Greetz,
Peter Lunk

Edited by MrLunk, June 20 2023 - 12:44 PM.

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2023 - 1:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My ants in my kitchen right now:
C23-AC787-F45-E-49-F8-AD62-325-CB692-B03

These are used to our blazing hot summers, though. Lol
  • Ernteameise and MrLunk like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Serafine - Posted June 20 2023 - 1:44 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

My ants in my kitchen right now:

Well, you're in America though and your ants are adapted to those temperatures.

We do get 30+°C here during the summer but most ant species in paved areas stop foraging during the extreme afternoon heat.

Also the nest areas are usually cooler because when watered properly they're effectively a passive cooler.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#25 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 20 2023 - 4:39 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

Yeah between 20 and 24 is better

• MrLunk likes this

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#26 Offline rptraut - Posted June 20 2023 - 6:05 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello Peter;
I always try to provide an oasis or “wet hole” in my outworlds to provide humidity and water for the ants. It can be as simple as a shallow dish, filled with saturated sponge and covered with moss. I often install a fill tube to the front for easier refilling. My nigers love it and use it as a base in the outworld for exploration and hiding with their food.
RPT
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#27 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 20 2023 - 11:53 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

1st thanks all above for your replies :) I'll definately keep em at lower temps after your comments...

Hello Peter;
I always try to provide an oasis or “wet hole” in my outworlds to provide humidity and water for the ants. It can be as simple as a shallow dish, filled with saturated sponge and covered with moss. I often install a fill tube to the front for easier refilling. My nigers love it and use it as a base in the outworld for exploration and hiding with their food.
RPT

I have a big piece of gypsum in the outworld that i will keep wet and should serve as an 'Oasis'  ;)
And there will be a water tower too ofcourse for drinking.

PL.

#28 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 21 2023 - 1:10 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Here is the 'Oasis' I made yesterday ;)

So in a previous post I made a gypsum block witch was then meant to become a nest, but since then I found a big piece of YTong that will be used for nest building...

To repurpose this gypsum block I carved it down to some cool shapes so it can function as decorational piece in the outworld and be a humidifier stone at the same time :)

I will just drip water over this and it will soak in and disperse evenly into the environment.

223Capture.JPG

222Capture.JPG

Edited by MrLunk, June 21 2023 - 1:12 AM.

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2023 - 2:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just be careful not to increase humidity too much in the outworld, or it will render your fluon ineffective.
  • MrLunk likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#30 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted June 21 2023 - 9:05 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

I would also point out that when conditions in my med outworld are right(warm and humid enough), the colony will bring brood out to it as if it were just more nest.

I keep my large outworld fairly dry, with just one small drinking station for them that does not evaporate water out very fast.
I believe it is part of what makes them see one place as outside and the other as inside.

• MrLunk likes this

#31 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 21 2023 - 9:27 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I would also point out that when conditions in my med outworld are right(warm and humid enough), the colony will bring brood out to it as if it were just more nest.

I keep my large outworld fairly dry, with just one small drinking station for them that does not evaporate water out very fast.
I believe it is part of what makes them see one place as outside and the other as inside.

Exactly what I thought, and my outworld we definately be a lot less humid then the nest...

#32 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 21 2023 - 11:32 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Was hoping for the ants to arrive today...
They din't but the SaugWunder sponges for the Ytong nests arrived :)

€ 3,99 per set of 2pc.
Ordered from here: TEMU - Saugwunder sponges (not an affiliate link)
Arrived in 4 days in NL.

1212222apture.JPG

• ANTdrew likes this

#33 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 21 2023 - 1:39 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Um, no.

28°C is absolutely too hot for Lasius niger and will likely kill them.

In my area their workers typically stop foraging if the ground temperatures exceed 30°C.

Also, never heat the whole nest from the bottom.

It's okay if only a small part of a nest is bottom-heated, like 25% of it.

The next problem here is, your 28°C is the air temperature. The temperature at the bottom of the tub is probably 30+.

You're also likely to end up with a flooded test tube, just due to the sheer amount of evaptoration and condensation.

Lasius niger is a temperate ant. They like heat, but they don't need it. They can do perfectly fine at around 20°C, they just need longer to develop.

Yeah for sure

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

#34 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 21 2023 - 11:33 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Um, no.

Yeah for sure

Please don't reply if you don't have anything usefull to awnser or add.
Thanks

#35 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 22 2023 - 2:00 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

YESSS !
This morning the package with Ant supllies and the Lasius Niger starter colony have arrived.
1 Gyne (Queen) and I counted 12 nanitic workers.

I have connected the delivery tube to a T-splitter, and connected a feeding tube and the larger nest, see 1st post of this Journal.

I din't take the time to make pictures because these girls have been in the mail on the road for 3 days.
Upon arrival I immediately put together this setup with the tiniest smear of honey to rebuild their strength.
Perhaps tonight Ill add some protein gell.

1 Lasius Niger ant exploring the feeding tube.

555Capture.JPG
The Setup as it is now, on top of their future outworld...
556Capture.JPG

Edited by MrLunk, June 22 2023 - 2:40 AM.

• Serafine, ANTdrew, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2023 - 2:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool! I look forward to seeing how they do.
  • MrLunk likes this

#37 Offline Serafine - Posted June 22 2023 - 3:31 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Lasius niger have a reputation for being slow and unwilling to move.

While I can say this is partially true, they can and will actually move fairly quickly when their current nest goes bad or they find a nest that is vastly superior to the one they're in.

Oh btw, don't worry if your ants store brood (especially pupae) in the tubing. That's normal.

Edited by Serafine, June 22 2023 - 3:33 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#38 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 22 2023 - 5:39 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Lasius niger have a reputation for being slow and unwilling to move.

While I can say this is partially true, they can and will actually move fairly quickly when their current nest goes bad or they find a nest that is vastly superior to the one they're in.

Oh btw, don't worry if your ants store brood (especially pupae) in the tubing. That's normal.

I'm not in a hurry, I hooked up the bigger nest and they may move when they feel like it.
The way this is set up now I can feed and aerate them easily without disturbing any of the areas.

I will keep the dark-cover on the tube for at least a week or maybe 2 now after the mail journey.

PL .

• Serafine and Ernteameise like this

#39 Offline Ernteameise - Posted June 22 2023 - 8:30 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

This is so exciting!

Good luck with your new girls!

I can see they will be very well cared for.

• MrLunk and Yourbasicantkeeper like this

#40 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 22 2023 - 2:11 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

For sure! ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users