• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium immigrans...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:34 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
So these guys are the first ones I ever owned. I really like them because they grow so fast. I really like watching them move around and their growth and how active they are, not to mention that in some cases they don't even need to hibernate which makes the whole wintering thing extremely easy.

My very first queen ant was one that I paid for, probably overpaid for honestly. And she was my very first ant and I loved her so much, so so much. Unfortunately when I was cleaning out the nest one day I pushed down on a rock and didn't realize she was under it. That was the end of that colony and after that I got really disappointed. I decided that this summer I was going to just get one and really focus on them.

My plans were cut short when I was adopted by a cast Queen. However I got extremely lucky with some of my Tetramorium immigrans. The first one I found I was at work and walking up the ramp and I just saw her on the ramp. She was in the building so I knew there was a good chance that she had been exposed to something. She was acting very sluggish but she was still alive so maybe she could live through it. I took her home. Then yesterday, I fished five Queens out of my dog's wading pool.

Current plan is to keep all of them and see which ones lay. If any of them aren't fertile I don't want to accidentally keep that one. Then I might sell the additional colonies once they get some rude and just keep the one as my own personal one

Edited by Lillyrose, June 14 2023 - 3:47 PM.

• OiledOlives and Myrmidons like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users