• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

50 year old Nerd from Netherlands starting 1st Lasius niger colony.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 14 2023 - 12:26 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVelsen, Netherlands

Tja, the title pretty much says it all ;)

I've ordered all kinds of stuff that's needed and a 1st Lasius Niger queen with 12 workers in a start tube.

A few tube connection splitters, 2m of 10mm tubing, endcaps and a small outworld to start out with...

FLuon cottonwool etc....

Perhaps some 50 EUro overkill for a starter but I want to take this a long way :)

I'll be D.I.Y.-ing the later necessary bigger nesting mazes and other outworld in the near fututre...

For now... waiting for the delivery of all the materials and the ants ;)

Greetigs,
Peter Lunk

Edited by MrLunk, June 14 2023 - 12:27 PM.

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

#2 Offline Ernteameise - Posted June 14 2023 - 12:30 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationGermany

Good luck!

Don't forget to share some pictures of your setup and the fledgling colony and the exploits of your girls.

Greetings from Germany.

• MrLunk likes this

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck to you! You can get some great advice on here, plus we’d love to follow the progress of your colony if you choose to journal them.
  • MrLunk likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:19 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Um... let me give you a quick warning here.

Lasius niger are notorious escapists. Compared to most other ants they are super active, super curious, super fast and super explorative (well, once they have around 100+ workers).

If the setup has a weakness anywhere, they will find it VERY quickly.

When my gf's colony of maybe 200-250 workers first explored their new vertical farm the lid wasn't 100% aligned and they immediately found a <1mm gap at the narrow side and walked right through.

I've now taped down the lid over its entire lenght, just to be sure.

So if you DIY your nests make sure they are super escape proof and don't take any risks. This is a species that absolutely needs a maximum security approach.

Edited by Serafine, June 14 2023 - 1:23 PM.

• MrLunk likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:24 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
So if you DIY your nests make sure they are super escape proof and don't take any risks. This is a species that absolutely needs a maximum security approach.

Thanks for the tip, but I was assuming that any ant eclosure would need very carefull and precise fittings ;)
I am perfectionist at stuff like this so I think I will do ok...
Once the stuff arrives I'll start either a blog or perhaps a amateur video series about my fairng...

Thanks for caring and giving the extra double warning ;)

PL.

Edited by MrLunk, June 14 2023 - 11:24 PM.

#6 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 16 2023 - 9:10 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I've setup the start for a Journal here:

https://www.formicul...y-lasius-niger/

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users