• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus queen question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Retaw - Posted June 14 2023 - 4:35 AM

Retaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Greetings i have read that other people's camponotus queen also do the "cotton pulling" but mine has had this set up for a week, and she hasn't laid eggs , but the cotton is really messed up ( you will see in the photo). My question is, is she trying to escape because she doesn't like the enclosure, or is that just the way they do it?
Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

Attached Images

• IMG_0465.JPEG
  • IMG_0464.JPEG

Edited by Retaw, June 14 2023 - 4:37 AM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2023 - 5:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Almost all Camponotus queens do this. 

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted June 14 2023 - 9:14 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello retaw;
To stop cotton pulling I wrap the cotton in light cloth (like T-shirt material) and then insert it in the test tube like a plug. I trim it with scissors once inserted. Air can still pass through and no more pulling cotton. I also find it easier to remove and reinsert for feeding when nanitics arrive.
RPT
  • ANTdrew likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#4 Offline Retaw - Posted June 16 2023 - 11:47 PM

Retaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the replies!
So yesterday i put on cooking paper some honey , and today the honey was gone (hopefully she ate it), but not only that, she finally laid 4 eggs! I suppose she was hungry.
I have another question again: should i put more food or just leave her now till her 1st worker then to offer her some food?
Thanks again for the advice!

Attached Images

• IMG_0467.jpeg

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 17 2023 - 4:20 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I also found that putting soil in the test tube stops then from pulling at the cotton. Good luck with your queen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users