• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Northwest Florida 6/13/2023

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 13 2023 - 6:53 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I believe this is Crematogaster, assuming ashmeadi. Would be the first ever Crematogaster queen that I have seen in person if that is what this is (gaster shape is what made me assume Crematogaster)

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Pensacola, FL
2. Date of collection: 6/13/223
3. Habitat of collection: Blacklight
4. Length (from head to gaster): something like 6 or 7mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black color
6. Distinguishing characteristics: gaster shape
7. Distinguishing behavior: she does not stop moving, constantly running g around in tube so really hard to get good pics
8. Nest description: n/a

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 8:45 PM 6/13/2023

20230613-214606.jpg

20230613-214724.jpg

20230613-214916.jpg

20230613-215010.jpg

20230613-215047.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
C. ashmeadi is probably a good guess, but you really need a microscope and a lot of prayer to ID Crematogaster to species level.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted June 14 2023 - 8:10 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

@ANTdrew - This recent paper makes it a bit more clear, though only has a worker key.
Ward, P. S.Blaimer, B. B. 2022. Taxonomy in the phylogenomic era: species boundaries and phylogenetic relationships among North American ants of the Crematogaster scutellaris group (Formicidae: Hymenoptera). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 194:893-937. PDF

Edited by James C. Trager, June 14 2023 - 8:15 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 14 2023 - 10:41 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Crematogaster ashmeadi/pinicola. I'm not sure what's going on with ashmeadi around here, but there are large daytime flights of them (or, what appears to be them at least) in the fall around October/November and those queens overwinter before laying eggs in the spring. But then occasionally there are "ashmeadi" that fly to blacklights at night in the summer just like C. pinicola, and of course immediately lay eggs and raise a fairly large colony before winter arrives. Like yours, these summer-flying ashmeadi are basically pinicola except are all black instead of bicolored. I've also found blacklight queens that have a somewhat ambiguous coloration that is in-between the typical ashmeadi and pinicola. It may be reasonable to suspect that there are additional cryptic species hiding within the Crematogaster ashmeadi taxon, as was the case in pinicola before it was declared separate from ashmeadi in 2007.

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 14 2023 - 2:50 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Crematogaster ashmeadi/pinicola. I'm not sure what's going on with ashmeadi around here, but there are large daytime flights of them (or, what appears to be them at least) in the fall around October/November and those queens overwinter before laying eggs in the spring. But then occasionally there are "ashmeadi" that fly to blacklights at night in the summer just like C. pinicola, and of course immediately lay eggs and raise a fairly large colony before winter arrives. Like yours, these summer-flying ashmeadi are basically pinicola except are all black instead of bicolored. I've also found blacklight queens that have a somewhat ambiguous coloration that is in-between the typical ashmeadi and pinicola. It may be reasonable to suspect that there are additional cryptic species hiding within the Crematogaster ashmeadi taxon, as was the case in pinicola before it was declared separate from ashmeadi in 2007.

Interesting, I wonder if it's a case of a species hiding within the taxon or if it's a crossbreeding thing kinda like invicta x richteri.

I only recently saw that I have Crematogaster in my yard, I believe they live in a piece of wood on the outside of my house that runs beneath the roof, that's where I saw them entering and exiting.

Thank you for the reply and the information

@ANTdrew - This recent paper makes it a bit more clear, though only has a worker key.
Ward, P. S.; Blaimer, B. B. 2022. Taxonomy in the phylogenomic era: species boundaries and phylogenetic relationships among North American ants of the Crematogaster scutellaris group (Formicidae: Hymenoptera). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 194:893-937. PDF

I have seen some workers and could probably catch some

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 14 2023 - 2:58 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

C. ashmeadi is probably a good guess, but you really need a microscope and a lot of prayer to ID Crematogaster to species level.

I think with those tools, I still would have trouble lmao

A guess is the best I could ever do without the help of an experienced person. Fortunately, Aaron is consistent in replying on here and I trust him (I'm dogwater at identifying ants.. especially species I havent encountered several times myself)

I get lucky guesses sometimes. And if it isn't local, fuggedaboudit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users