• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

florida anting, flights and more

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline liamsantics - Posted June 10 2023 - 2:01 PM

liamsantics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Locationnorth palm beach, FL

for sightings of nuptial flights in florida and general florida ant keeping

#2 Offline liamsantics - Posted June 11 2023 - 3:13 PM

liamsantics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

it is currently pouring outside right now. looking forward to some good anting tonight. plan on going to a park and setting a uv light trap. not kidding when i say i always have 10-15 empty test tubes on hand at all times.

#3 Offline liamsantics - Posted June 12 2023 - 2:51 PM

liamsantics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

caught lots of rover ants from the looks of the queens. i currently have a three queen setup, 2 two queen setups and a few one queen setups. the 3 queen colony is in a tubs and tubes setup.

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 13 2023 - 4:10 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I might go to the park one of these nights with my portable battery and try to catch some queens. I have a TON of P. bicarinata and D. bureni queens and dunno what to do with them lmao (I was going to sell them but I don't have a way to get to USPS right now so I have to wait)

I plan on HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up) having a vehicle within the month so I might just wait and sell them with workers instead of just with brood once that happens lol

I'm just not trying to have like 100 queens and then not be able to get rid of them rofl

#5 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 13 2023 - 4:11 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

caught lots of rover ants from the looks of the queens. i currently have a three queen setup, 2 two queen setups and a few one queen setups. the 3 queen colony is in a tubs and tubes setup.

Are your queens B. patagonicus or B. obscurior or are you not able to tell? Were you invited to that Discord group yet?

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 13 2023 - 7:00 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I caught 4 Ondontomachus haematodus queens tonight (got stung by another, not sure if it was one of the ones I caught or not, it landed on my shirt and didn't notice and brushed it with my elbow, which it decided to sting lol)

I also caught another 5 Pheidole bicarinata

I caught a suspected Crematogaster ashmeadi (waiting on it to get identified, never seen a Crematogaster queen in person so I could be wrong)

Edit: Caught a Camponotus floridanus about 10 minutes ago, however she was on a wall and had wings, not so sure she is gonna end up fertile (she is the 3rd floridanus queen I have caught and the other 2 weren't fertile, either)

Edited by Flu1d, June 13 2023 - 7:44 PM.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2023 - 1:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I caught 4 Ondontomachus haematodus queens tonight (got stung by another, not sure if it was one of the ones I caught or not, it landed on my shirt and didn't notice and brushed it with my elbow, which it decided to sting lol)

I caught a suspected Crematogaster ashmeadi (waiting on it to get identified, never seen a Crematogaster queen in person so I could be wrong)

Edit: Caught a Camponotus floridanus about 10 minutes ago, however she was on a wall and had wings, not so sure she is gonna end up fertile (she is the 3rd floridanus queen I have caught and the other 2 weren't fertile, either)

Don’t burn yourself out with too many queens. You can’t even sell queens anymore without a flashy website and interstate permits.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 14 2023 - 2:29 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Don’t burn yourself out with too many queens. You can’t even sell queens anymore without a flashy website and interstate permits.

I don't need permits to ship within Florida and nobody uses a website, the community all stays in touch using Discord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users