• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Shack

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antboyidaho - Posted June 9 2023 - 10:59 AM

antboyidaho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

I was wondering whether anyone had any opinions, good or bad, about the products sold by the ant shack. Are the products quality and good for the price? Would you recommend that I use them? Thanks for the feedback!

Colonies:
One Formica Podzolica queen in a test tube setup.

#2 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 9 2023 - 12:09 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I glanced at their site a while back, they make the same type of plastic stuff you would find on etsy, but more expensive. I cannot say that I would recommend them.

That type of plastic is begging for issues.

They look cool, sure, but having all of that extra stuff in the outworld just adds a ton of extra work for cleaning and the visibility isn't very good and that plastic is not what I would personally ever buy.

Other than just looking at their stuff, I cannot speak for them but if you and I were friends and I was recommending you to get into anting, that is not the site that I would send you to.

Sorry if the owner is on here, but that's just how I feel.

#3 Offline antboyidaho - Posted June 9 2023 - 12:35 PM

antboyidaho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho
Where would you recommend I purchase a formicarium?

Colonies:
One Formica Podzolica queen in a test tube setup.

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 9 2023 - 1:39 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
I bought the supplies to make my own, but if you really don't want to do that, I highly recommend www.arthropodantics.com for your ants. His prices are very fair and he is a well known and respected member in the community.

I bought the stuff he uses to make his nests on Amazon because I planned on having a fair amount of colonies, and it's much cheaper in the long run to do it that way. However, I'd you don't plan on making many or if you don't like the idea of making them yourself, then buying them from him is a great way to support a good person who does a lot of work for the community.

If you ARE interested in making your own or are curious on prices to do so, hit me up in a private message. I can hit you with the Amazon links.

Www.TarHeelAnts.com is another great site and the owner there is ALSO awesome. That being said, his prices are a bit steeper and I feel like, until you have some larger colonies, his nests are better for people with deep wallets or who have LARGE colonies that need a more permanent home because they won't really grow much more, so the investment isn't wasted when they outgrow it. (I understand you can move another colony in once it's outgrown, but for me it just isn't worth it.. it may be for others) The mini hearths usually last a colony a couple of months then they move out, which for me and my not so deep pockets, is not very convenient for me. However if you don't care about price, they are great.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2023 - 1:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Tarheel Ants is the way to go.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted June 9 2023 - 3:52 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Are you insinuating that Arthropod Antics are not a good choice by only suggesting half of what I already suggested when he asked me?

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2023 - 4:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Are you insinuating that Arthropod Antics are not a good choice by only suggesting half of what I already suggested when he asked me?
No, I’ve never tried those nests.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 9 2023 - 8:12 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I have only ever purchased nests from THA as the quality is impeccable. I have not purchased from Cheeto before but I’m sure those nests are decent, I personally don’t like the open concept but if I needed a nest in that fashion for ants such as Acromyrmex or Cyphomyrmex I would buy from him. I will add that you should check out @antsforeveryone on Instagram as he makes phenomenal nests for great prices. The nests are THA quality but are affordable for most everyone. 

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#9 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 9 2023 - 9:14 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Cheeto's nests are solid. They are nice and simple and are good for filming (unless the top gets scratched up). The vertical formisquarium is a great cheaper alternative to the mini hearth and is fine for species like Myrmecocystus. The mini formisquarium is also great for founding colonies.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users