• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello From BC Canada

new member new formiculturist

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OrganizationChaos - Posted August 12 2015 - 12:01 AM

OrganizationChaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hey guys!

I'm new to formiculture (the hobby and the site), but I've always thought having an ant farm would be AWESOME. Just a couple days ago I realized that I'm an adult that can do things like get an ant farm. Within minutes I was deciding what commercial farm would be best, then trying to find a place here in Canada that would sell me some worker ants.

I found AntsCanada and my ignorance was dispelled.

I plan to make my own formicarium - probably from grout - and catch my own queen locally. Sadly, that might not happen for almost a full year, since I'm moving in a couple months and I'm not sure how good it would be to move a fresh colony. Besides! I don't even know what species I'll get - can't tell them apart yet - and I want to make sure I provide them the best environment that I possibly can - meaning tunnels designed to suit their natural inclinations.

There's one thing I'm starting to learn as I learn more about ants: I am incredibly fascinated with their social cues and systems. Wow, complicated! It's absolutely amazing! I'm so excited to start my own formicarium and watch how the colony grows and changes. God, ants. <3

I love them so much that I'm starting to wonder if maybe I can have a job with them...I do know of a bug zoo near where I'm moving. Maybe they'll take me...

Also, I've heard it's a good idea to catch more than one queen during their nuptial flights (just in case they're infertile, diseased, etc) but I keep wondering - what do you do with the fertile queens you don't want to keep? I only want to start with one colony, after all. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew - don't need to take the whole meal worm into the nest. Ha!

Oh, and does anyone know what species are most common on Vancouver Island, BC? I've seen little reddish ones, large brown/black ones... Not that that's helpful! :P Any tips for identifying species 'in the field'?

Anyway, thanks for this website, guys, I'm so excited to be here!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 12 2015 - 12:06 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome! There are actually some people on this forum from Vancouver already. :)

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. If you post up the proper information and some pictures in the ID Request subforum, someone here would probably be able to ID the ants you are seeing there.

#4 Offline OrganizationChaos - Posted August 12 2015 - 9:25 AM

OrganizationChaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada
Thanks guys! Though I'm actually from Vancouver Island (Courtney, Coombs, Comox, Tofino, Ucluelet, Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Duncan, Mill Bay, Victoria) not the mainland/Vancouver proper.

I'll see about taking some pictures. I know of a decent size nest near me that I'd like to ID.

#5 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:06 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome!

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:27 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
'Ello and Welcome to the forum :)
Greetings from Richmond,BC

#7 Offline William. T - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:31 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:49 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome!

#9 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted August 13 2015 - 6:45 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

welcome

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member, new formiculturist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users