• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Spotting in Germany (join me on my afternoon walk)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 18 2023 - 5:58 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

I am from a region in Germany called Lower Franconia- this is the place Bert Hölldobler talks about when he writes about his youth and experiences in "Journey to the Ants" and his other books. So Bert Hölldobler's old stomping grounds is basically where I live.

Today was a very nice day with sun out, so I went for a walk and took my camera along.

I actually went out to collect some Isopods for my herb garden (soil improvement) but that was only semi- successful (I caught 4).

Anyways, even if my Isopod hunt was nothing to write home about, I was very successful finding quite a few different species of ants.

So I invite you to join me on a walk around my village, looking for ants!

Disclaimer- I am not an expert in identifying ants. So if I misidentified any of the species, please let me know!

I did NOT take any of the ants. Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.

But if I had been inclined, there would have been quite a few wonderful opportunities.

Here are my collected Isopods:

Wood-lice.jpg

I found a colony of wood ants Formica pratensis.

You have to love Formica- they have attitude!

Wood-ant1.jpg

Wood-ant3.jpg

I found their abandoned last years nest, but the new nest must have been in the paddock behind a electrified cattle fence. I love ants, but was not willing of braving an electric fence for this.

Abandones-nest.jpg

These girls were very busy caring for their aphid colonies on a wild cherry tree.

Wood-ant-cattle.jpg

Wood-ant-cattle2.jpg

Wood-ant6.jpg

And again, they were very diligent on defending their cattle!

Wood-ant-attack.jpg

They had reason for doing so, because there were some parasitic wasps about!

Wood-ant-parasitic-wasp.jpg

I live in prime country for Acorn Ants (Temnothorax).

I am NOT making this up, but they are EVERYWHERE. Literally every acorn with a hole in it had a part of the acorn ant colony in it.

They are polydomus- meaning, they will settle in several different acorns close to each other, but they have only one queen.

Acorn-ants-territory.jpg

Acorn-ants1.jpg

I did NOT take this colony, I just collected all the corresponding acorns to show the whole colony together:

Acorn-ants2.jpg

So when I said the other day I was very lazy that I bought a colony of Acorn Ants from the Antstore, this shows you just how lazy I had been- all it would have taken was a 20 minute walk.

Formica rufibarbis (or cunicularia? ) nesting at a sidewalk.

Formica.jpg

Lasius flavus under a log on a meadow

Lasius-flavus.jpg

Lasius fuliginosus near some chopped wood piles- this species lives in dead wood

Holzameise2.jpg

Holzameise.jpg

Formica cinerea under a piece of bark, you can even see the queen to the right:

Lasius.jpg

Manica rubida, one of our largest Myrmicines

Manica-rubida.jpg

Not an ant, but the falcon that lives in our village church tower

Falcon.jpg

I also picked up an unwanted hitchhiker-

this is a nymph of our most common tick, Ixodes ricinus (and these ticks love and adore me for some reason)

Tick.jpg

As you can see, there is quite a range of species around.

I am sure if I would spend more time and climb a few more fences, I could find several more.

Edited by Ernteameise, May 18 2023 - 6:00 AM.

• ANTdrew and antsinvirgina like this

#2 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 18 2023 - 6:11 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

And I forgot one!

Here are some Lasius niger  beside the sidewalk

Lasius_niger_2.jpg

Lasius-niger1.jpg

• ConcordAntman, antsinvirgina and rptraut like this

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted May 18 2023 - 5:14 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Thanks for including us on your walk. Great to see your local ants!
RPT
  • Ernteameise likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users