• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cecil the lion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted August 11 2015 - 10:05 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I don't hunt. However,I have no moral issues with it and I'm not trying to discourage it. I'm just don't feel interested in it. 

What are some opinions of the ant keepers on this board regarding the dentist who shot the lion? Do you think it's moral? Is it necessary to thin the lion population? Do you think the natives would benefit from the $50,000 we paid? Do you have a problem with people killing lions? And do you think the issue is worth the fuss? Just curious. The media seems to have a one sided story about it.

• Tyrone likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted August 11 2015 - 12:05 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

I think the dentist is probably as pissed off as anyone.

Here's what I think happened:

Dr. pays what he thinks is a reputable company to guide his hunt.

Company doesn't have proper permit, but Dr. Palmer is unaware.

Group successfully baits and kills Cecil.

Group finds collar and destroys it (it's very possible Dr. Palmer wasn't even aware of this; it's not uncommon for the guides to do all the tracking, especially after 48 hours).

The end.

The whole story is just buzzword outrage. "They hunted Cecil at NIGHT, with BOWS, while BAITING him." All of these things are completely legal, not to mention completely normal and standard. As far as I am aware, most lion hunts take place at night while baiting or during the day with dogs.

At best, I think the doctor helped destroy the collar, which I'm not even sure is illegal, and even if it is it's probably "destruction of property" because killing a collard animal is not illegal in the least bit.

If Dr. Palmer was actually going over to Zimbabwe to poach a lion, he wouldn't have spent $50K to do it. He would have paid some locals a fraction of that. $50K is what legal hunters pay to hunt a lion in Zimbabwe, so why would he pay that for an illegal hunt?

Like I said, he's probably more pissed than anybody.

I think when done properly and through the right channels, hunting big game like this does a lot of good for the species.  Auctioning off the old aggressive males that are no longer breeding anyways brings in a LOT of money for conservation and prevents the younger males and cubs from getting run off or killed.  With that being said, this hunt was not exactly done properly, but I don't actually think that's the fault of Dr. Palmer.

Edited by Herdo, August 11 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• Tyrone likes this

#3 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 15 2015 - 4:29 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

A vey rational response to an otherwise silly over reaction. 

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users