• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Herculeanus range.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 10 2023 - 12:23 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I was exploring ant maps and i saw that Camponautus Herculeanus live in North America and Eurasia. How did that happen? Did they cross the bearing straight like humans, or did they go island hopping over here.

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted May 10 2023 - 12:36 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Yes they crossed the Bering Strait, but multiple times, ants are a lot older then humans so they had more chances to do so.

https://onlinelibrar....1111/jbi.13380

The Formicidae have repeatedly dispersed through Beringia, during and after land bridge formation, and in both directions between the Palearctic and Nearctic regions.

Edited by Barristan, May 11 2023 - 5:11 AM.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 10 2023 - 3:05 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Ok thanks

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2023 - 4:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Check your spelling of Camponotus.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 10 2023 - 4:16 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Oh thanks.

#6 Offline rptraut - Posted May 10 2023 - 10:20 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Bering Strait is the correct name.
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted May 11 2023 - 5:12 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Yep thx maybe AI can generate something funny out of "Bearing straight" xd

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2023 - 5:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yep thx maybe AI can generate something funny out of "Bearing straight" xd

Make a meme.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline HillUnderwood - Posted May 12 2023 - 2:02 AM

HillUnderwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I was exploring ant maps and i saw that Camponautus Herculeanus live in North America and Eurasia. How did that happen? Did they cross the bearing straight like humans, or did they go island hopping over here.

Ants (and other species) usually spread through several mechanisms. One of them is drift dispersion, when individual ants or colonies move randomly or purposefully over long distances. This can occur, for example, through the uncontrolled dispersal of male and female ants, which then establish new colonies elsewhere. In the case of Camponotus herculeanus, a history of climate change and geological events probably played a role. In the past, during glacial periods, North America and Eurasia were connected by a land bridge across the Bering Strait, known as the Beringia. This provided an opportunity for various species, including ants, to migrate between the two continents. In addition, there are other factors that may have contributed to the spread of ants, such as intercontinental birds, which may carry ant mothers and worker ants in their nests or on their bodies. In general, the spread of ants and other species is often the result of a combination of factors, including climatic changes, geological events, random movements, and interactions with other organisms.

Edited by HillUnderwood, May 12 2023 - 2:03 AM.

• ConcordAntman and rptraut like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users