• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Millipedes with gecko.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 7 2023 - 4:46 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I have millipedes who found their way into my geckos terrarium. I don't want her to eat them and get sick. Does anyone know how to get rid of them safely?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2023 - 5:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Maybe you could try keeping the setup dry except for one spot. Millipedes will aggregate there, then you can gather them up and remove them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 8 2023 - 4:28 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
I have a lot of plants and moss that keep the soil moist so that would take a while but I could try.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2023 - 5:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

In that case, it will be next to impossible without also drying out the plants and definitely the moss. Can you move the gecko to something new and start the setup over? Wild gathered moss almost always has slug, snail, and millipede eggs in it. Keeping it fully submerged under water for a few days could help prevent infestations. I also recommend rinsing it thoroughly. 

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 8 2023 - 12:12 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Okay i will try that. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users