• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Presenting Futurebird's UREA-MART (the nasty stuff your carpenter ants crave)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted June 19 2023 - 2:49 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

We've had a lot of conversations about how in the wild carpenter ants (such as Camponotus pennslyvanicus) eat nasty things like bird poo. The concern is that pet ants may not be getting complete nutrition. I decided to buy 1 pound of powdered urea (the main nutrient the ants are seeking) and try offering it to my ants. They were universally interested, collecting it and liking it for a few days, then losing interest for many months. 

Of course I have 1 pounds of this stuff (it's an odorless white crystalline powder. Like salt.) I will never use it all. 

I would be happy to send some to anyone who wants to buy it. If you'd rather buy a whole pound for some reason here it is on amazon for $10

https://www.amazon.c...p=&sprefix=urea

If you want to buy some of mine it will cost $4. This is for shipping and the annoyance of packing it up.  I will send 3 tablespoons which is more than enough for a few colonies for many years. 

I suspect this is healthy for ants, the colonies I feed it to are in their 3rd year and thriving. But I generally spoil them so I will not claim it's magic. 

If you want some send me a DM. 

US only. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Miles - Posted June 19 2023 - 3:14 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

How do you feed it to your ants? I don't imagine many ants will recognize the powder as a food source, so you must be presenting it to them in a palatable way?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted June 19 2023 - 3:23 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I just put it in a tiny ant-sized dish, like a small bottle cap then add a drop of water. 

They will also lick the dry grains. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users