• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Early Nuptial Flights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted April 30 2023 - 3:40 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Has anybody been noticing nuptial flights starting sooner each year? Last year I caught a fertile Formica Queen in Tahoe in the second half of winter or so.

Edited by gs5248, April 30 2023 - 3:41 PM.

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted April 30 2023 - 4:32 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Has anybody been noticing nuptial flights starting sooner each year? Last year I caught a fertile Formica Queen in Tahoe in the second half of winter or so.

If anything, I thought they started later this year lol. Prenolepis flights were pretty delayed from the rain, but some other species flew on time I think.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline KadinB - Posted April 30 2023 - 6:41 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

If anything, I thought they started later this year lol. Prenolepis flights were pretty delayed from the rain, but some other species flew on time I think.

I agree with this. Most species that fly around my area haven't flown yet. It's been a lot colder than last year compared to last year. 

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted April 30 2023 - 7:47 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I saw some Camponotus modoc Queens were flying today which was a lot earlier than last year.

Edited by antsriondel, April 30 2023 - 7:47 PM.

#5 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted April 30 2023 - 8:18 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

At least here, it was a bit of a cold-front and they flew later.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted April 30 2023 - 9:37 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I actually just caught and missed a few Camponotus flights. There were flights in the last couple weeks here in the Bay Area.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users