• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found in east Tn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:01 PM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hows it going, I am new here and I'm going to make my introduction here with as ask for the help with a identification. My daughter found this beautiful queen running across her bedroom floor a few weeks back and since I was at work she caught her for me. She thought it was one of my ants and it had escaped but this wasnt the case because i didn't have any ants due to the season just becoming spring here year and my hunts were due to start upon warming of the temps. To my surprise when I came home, I saw she had caught me a big and wingless queen! I believe this to be a camponotus. The closest I can find is the sansabeanus, but the issue with that is they are not found here. I put her in a claustral chamber test tube and she immediately went for a drink of water like she has done this before lol. I put her in the dark and a few days later she already had a cluster of eggs, I was not expecting that so soon! If anyone could help me identify her I would greatly appreciate it.

Attached Images

• IMG_0297.jpg

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:32 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Camponotus americanus

#3 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:35 PM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you so very much

#4 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted August 7 2023 - 11:56 AM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So I wanted to bring an update since the last time I posted asking for my Identification.

She is doing well she has a handful and counting of nanitics. The colony looks to be healthy and in fact was growing in size pretty quick. I needed to refresh their water but i wasnt going to just "shake them out the tube" lmao so I came up with this simple and clean habitat that allows me to give them an out world sort of speak, but mainly allows me to add another tube in any direction really but in general one that allows me to change water out constantly rather than needing them to change tubes as they grow in size. Less stress in making them move. The tube on the side they use is dried up and they won't leave it which doesnt bother me because now i have a way to continually give them fresh water. They have adapted to their new digs and tend to used their out world to throw trash and un-wanted's they tend to come up with. It has been really nice giving them a place to put their trash but also a place to place food like drops of honey. They will come out and feast and enjoy themselves and i just pop the top (carefully of course) and wipe up what is left behind and use tweezers to grab trash out of the (common area) lmao.

None the less I wanted to share how things were going

camponotus americanus queen and nanotics.jpg

What I used for the out world is a meal worm container I got at a pet store when buying supply for my spiders and soon the ants. I drilled a hole on each end, then took and decorated it to be aesthetically pleasing. The funny part is I actually keep then whole thing in a top drawer so I never get to really look at it, lol at the irony

camponotus americanus small colony setup side ants exposed.jpg

If I changed the side of the orange and black sleeve It might change the side the ants choose to be but as stated above I keep this all in a drawer so its completely black and left alone 90% of the time and so at this point I'm starting to doubt they will leave where they started. I know there are ways but to be honest its not mattering right now because they are keep house clean with the ability to throw trash out into the out world. 

camponotus americanus small colony setup.jpg

camponotus americanus small colony setup top.jpg

The top is easily removed and replaced without much vibration to the colony. I don't usualy bother them opening the lid. They do get curious when i do and soon find treats and clean room, like they know when i lift that lid it pays to come look. Its not only natural reaction to the nest but i also usually leave a drop of honey when i open that lid so its rewarding to them in a sense.

Edited by Anti_Antillary, August 7 2023 - 11:59 AM.

• UtahAnts and AntsCali098 like this

#5 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted August 8 2023 - 1:30 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

So I wanted to bring an update since the last time I posted asking for my Identification.

She is doing well she has a handful and counting of nanitics. The colony looks to be healthy and in fact was growing in size pretty quick. I needed to refresh their water but i wasnt going to just "shake them out the tube" lmao so I came up with this simple and clean habitat that allows me to give them an out world sort of speak, but mainly allows me to add another tube in any direction really but in general one that allows me to change water out constantly rather than needing them to change tubes as they grow in size. Less stress in making them move. The tube on the side they use is dried up and they won't leave it which doesnt bother me because now i have a way to continually give them fresh water. They have adapted to their new digs and tend to used their out world to throw trash and un-wanted's they tend to come up with. It has been really nice giving them a place to put their trash but also a place to place food like drops of honey. They will come out and feast and enjoy themselves and i just pop the top (carefully of course) and wipe up what is left behind and use tweezers to grab trash out of the (common area) lmao.

None the less I wanted to share how things were going

camponotus americanus queen and nanotics.jpg

What I used for the out world is a meal worm container I got at a pet store when buying supply for my spiders and soon the ants. I drilled a hole on each end, then took and decorated it to be aesthetically pleasing. The funny part is I actually keep then whole thing in a top drawer so I never get to really look at it, lol at the irony

camponotus americanus small colony setup side ants exposed.jpg

If I changed the side of the orange and black sleeve It might change the side the ants choose to be but as stated above I keep this all in a drawer so its completely black and left alone 90% of the time and so at this point I'm starting to doubt they will leave where they started. I know there are ways but to be honest its not mattering right now because they are keep house clean with the ability to throw trash out into the out world.

camponotus americanus small colony setup.jpg

camponotus americanus small colony setup top.jpg

The top is easily removed and replaced without much vibration to the colony. I don't usualy bother them opening the lid. They do get curious when i do and soon find treats and clean room, like they know when i lift that lid it pays to come look. It’s not only natural reaction to the nest but i also usually leave a drop of honey when i open that lid so it’s rewarding to them in a sense.

if you want, you can create a journal to catalog your ant journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users