• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where can I get some ytong?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 8 2015 - 6:23 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I havnt seen any forsale anywhere, does anyone sell them that I can get shipped to Canada maybe? Word on the street says all the cool kids are using it and I'm hoping to get my first brick free

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 8 2015 - 7:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

All the cool kids are using concrete?  Did you time travel back to the Roman empire?  

As a building material, it's not as common in North America as it is in Europe.  And since you won't find it used for any other purpose, it's not the easiest to come across.  Most building supply places that do carry it will require you to buy a pallet, which usually costs a few hundred bucks.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 8 2015 - 9:47 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I believe you can order it at THA, though it probably won't be cheap.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline William. T - Posted August 9 2015 - 10:38 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

You can order from THA, but it will cost you a pretty penny. 24,000 of them in fact.

http://tarheelants.c...cts/ytong-order

Better if you use grout or hydrostone, or just buy a formicarium yourself.

Edited by William. T, August 9 2015 - 10:44 AM.

• LC3 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#5 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 9 2015 - 12:12 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
The fact that you get 20 of them makes it not unreasonable, not sure what id do with 20 though and I'm sure shipping wouldn't be nice,

#6 Offline William. T - Posted August 9 2015 - 12:42 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

The fact that you get 20 of them makes it not unreasonable, not sure what id do with 20 though and I'm sure shipping wouldn't be nice,

What are you trying to do? If you are making your first formicarium, then you should use hydro stone or grout. If you are just into starting your first colony, then I recommend you buy a formicarium. What you do not want is to have a buy drill, that $100 tool kit from Home Depot, 20 blocks of Ytong, and then you are bored with anting and quit. There are a lot of people that make good formicarium. You can order from Terry at byformica.com, Tar Heel Ants, Drew's experimental formicarium he sells time from time, and AntsCanada. Since I read you have a lot of founding queens at the moment, you can buy THA's Atom formicarium, or the Grotube XL, since the middle chamber is perfect for founding queens. But also you can wait for your queens to fill up your test tubes with workers and brood, and then buy a nice formicarium.

• LC3 likes this

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#7 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 9 2015 - 5:34 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I don't plan on buying 20 anyway, maybe 2 just to [censored] around with if i could get them, but i was expecting them to be double the price they would work out to each

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted August 10 2015 - 6:44 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Various Materials used to build formicariums - http://www.formicult...ium/#entry11018

In some ways, hydration and carve-ability, firebrick is very similar and will likely suite your needs.

• William. T and Tyrone like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#9 Offline William. T - Posted August 10 2015 - 11:14 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I started practicing carving formicarium with a piece of clay. A slab really helps you understand and and get an idea of actually carving a formicarium. I found out that I couldn't make a perfect cut or anything close to it, so I borrowed some tubs and bought myself some grout, and made my first formicarium.

I don't plan on buying 20 anyway, maybe 2 just to [censored] around with if i could get them, but i was expecting them to be double the price they would work out to each

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted August 17 2015 - 7:31 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Too bad shipping costs are that high. Ytong in Germany is only around 1€ for a 60x20x5 cm brick.

• Tyrone likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users