• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How find Camponotus queens in northwest Illinois

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CHessantking - Posted April 11 2023 - 6:49 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
How can
I find a Carpenter ant queen near the Naperville area

#2 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted April 11 2023 - 7:48 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Antkeeping and this forum is very niche so it isn't likely you will find a good answer.

The ants in Illinois might not fly on the same weather as ants in GA but here is some info on when I usually find camponotus:

I usually find carpenter ants on trees and other open areas like sidewalks during 70-80 degree and damp weather usually a day or two after a rainstorm. Its also worth just bringing a container with you since you can never truly predict when you will find queens.

If you are really interested in keeping carpenters you can ID there species very easily as most species have relatively major differences between workers. If you're having any trouble you can always post on the identification subforum.

Edited by LowQualityAnts, April 11 2023 - 7:50 PM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 12 2023 - 2:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Send a message to Mettcollsuss on this forum. He is from Illinois. You will want to search a bit before sunset on late spring days that get to 80 degrees with humidity and light wind. Black light traps can be very useful for some Camponotus species as well. Good luck!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline DRpepper - Posted April 12 2023 - 5:26 PM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

How can
I find a Carpenter ant queen near the Naperville area

go to any Forrest and look in may-july on warm humid afternoons. Alternatively just go to any Forrest and look through logs and you can find dozens of newly founded colonies.  

• Mettcollsuss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users