• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Messor barbarus colony

240 replies to this topic

#21 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 17 2023 - 10:01 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Antstore also sells food.

I thought I try it out.

For Messor species, they sell a mix of tubes containing different size seed as well as different powders.

One powder is a sugar which you can mix with water for creating sugar water.

Another powder is "frugivore"- I tried it myself and it appears to be powdered dried banana. This you also mix with water to create a paste.

And then they have "protein" food- which I assume is just ground up insects, which you also mix with water for a paste. The ground up insects reminds me very much of the insectivore mix that we feed to wild insectivorous birds ( I worked with wild birds for my Master and PhD degrees at university).

So I tried out the banana powder-paste and the insect paste with my Messors, and yes of course, the ants are pigs when it comes to food, they actually eat it.

1704-Powdered-food-2.jpg

• Becky and AntsCali098 like this

#22 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 17 2023 - 10:55 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Right.

I am at a loss.

What do the Messors trying to tell me with this? (piling sand on top of the food)

They were just eating it!

1704-Messors-food.jpg

• Becky likes this

#23 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted April 17 2023 - 12:33 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

^ some  ants really don't like water/anything too wet around where they live.

Also not all the ants in a colony will agree up front about it all.

So maybe some were eating, but some others determined it was too much exposed water/moisture around them and covered it up.

I might imagine a much less wet mix, more like play-dough consistency might not get this treatment.

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#24 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 17 2023 - 12:40 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

^ some  ants really don't like water/anything too wet around where they live.

Also not all the ants in a colony will agree up front about it all.

So maybe some were eating, but some others determined it was too much exposed water/moisture around them and covered it up.

I might imagine a much less wet mix, more like play-dough consistency might not get this treatment.

You might be onto something!

Because right now, many more of the workers are sitting around the food- and they appear to use the sand as stepping stones!

What do I learn from this?

Use less water next time.

Thank you for your suggestion.

• 100lols likes this

#25 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 20 2023 - 11:36 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

My Messors continue to do well.

I also finally seem to have some more brood in there with the queen.

And no, these huge majors do not really leave the nest. At all. I see them go to the toilet and the water bottle, but as soon as I come near, they panic and run back into the nest.

2004-Messors-Brut.jpg

Edited by Ernteameise, April 20 2023 - 11:37 AM.

• ANTdrew, Becky and AntsCali098 like this

#26 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 24 2023 - 2:06 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Some strange observations I keep making:

Every time I feed fresh seed, the Messors go into total overhyped OCD mode.

This is now the fourth or fifth time I see this.

I feed new seed, they start collecting, and suddenly, the natural order is disturbed and they start getting all the previously collected seed out and arrange them anew!

They appear to have a neat system of seed stored according to size and shape.

New seed appear to create a problem- to have it all arranged in order, it needs to all get carried out, and then rearranged and then carried back in in the right order.

This is basically the ant version of Mr. Monk from the TV series.

Today I decided to offer a few very small seed as well as- for the first time!- two huge grain seed which they never had before.

2404-Seed-1.jpg

And a short time later, I looked back in and saw this mess-

they got all the seed out and even stuffed them into the toilet!

Just to be able to re-arrange them again.

I am not worried, since I have seen this before and I know that come tomorrow morning, the toilet will be empty of seed again.

2404-Seed-2.jpg

Has anyone seen this weird behaviour with their granivorous ants before?

Edited by Ernteameise, April 24 2023 - 2:08 PM.

• ANTdrew, Becky, AntsCali098 and 1 other like this

#27 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 25 2023 - 10:32 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Update-

as predicted, the toilet is now empty of seed and used again for toilet purposes.

However, some of the seed are now stashed in between the decorative rocks in the arena and very closely guarded.

2504-Messors-stash.jpg

I also can say that my experiment of feeding large grain seed did not succeed and the Messors took all other seed and left the grain

2504-Messors-seed.jpg

In other news, I got some liver pate for myself for dinner tonight and thought I share and it proved to be quite popular

2504-Messors-pate.jpg

• Becky and 100lols like this

#28 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted April 25 2023 - 12:22 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

I have not offered a mixed seed variety like that.
I have several single type seeds, and offer them something different rationally. Or at least i did until they got hooked on chia seed crack.
Once i gave them black chia seeds, they don't really want anything else any more. I have placed four piles of different seeds, chia, poppy, blue grass, dandelion. And only the black chia get touched any more.

I once poured some chia seeds ontop of where there were already poppy seeds. A day later the poppy seeds were still there untouched, while not one chia seed could be found in the outworld.

I have observed that they rotate the seed pile in their nest from top to bottom. Digging down to pull older seeds up and lay them on top. But i have not seen my Pogonomyrmex O. set to arranging seeds in any kind of way as you describe there.

lastly on the seeds stashed under the rocks.
pretty sure a lot of ants wind up not having a real distinction between what we see as nest and outworld.
From their smelling POV, it's a more homogeneous environment in the little enclosed no active wind outworlds we have.

mine too have a clearly defined trash location, but then also places in the outworld they are just stashing seeds as if it were the nest's larder.

So they like dandelion seeds still i guess, they get stashed in the outworld not the trash pile. But they were willing to drag the chia seeds a longer distance to get them back in the nest proper.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, April 25 2023 - 12:28 PM.

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#29 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 25 2023 - 1:30 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have not offered a mixed seed variety like that.
I have several single type seeds, and offer them something different rationally. Or at least i did until they got hooked on chia seed crack.
Once i gave them black chia seeds, they don't really want anything else any more. I have placed four piles of different seeds, chia, poppy, blue grass, dandelion. And only the black chia get touched any more.

I once poured some chia seeds ontop of where there were already poppy seeds. A day later the poppy seeds were still there untouched, while not one chia seed could be found in the outworld.

I have observed that they rotate the seed pile in their nest from top to bottom. Digging down to pull older seeds up and lay them on top. But i have not seen my Pogonomyrmex O. set to arranging seeds in any kind of way as you describe there.

lastly on the seeds stashed under the rocks.
pretty sure a lot of ants wind up not having a real distinction between what we see as nest and outworld.
From their smelling POV, it's a more homogeneous environment in the little enclosed no active wind outworlds we have.
mine too have a clearly defined trash location, but then also places in the outworld they are just stashing seeds as if it were the nest's larder.
So they like dandelion seeds still i guess, they get stashed in the outworld not the trash pile. But they were willing to drag the chia seeds a longer distance to get them back in the nest proper.

These are some spoilt ants!
I feed the mixed seed because that is how I bought them... and in nature, different seed will be available also.
I need to try chia seed, though!
Thank you for sharing your observations, This is very interesting,

#30 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 29 2023 - 4:03 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Finally the weekend and some time to watch the girls a bit more closely.

Today, my ants got a nice breakfast of some small bit of apple, a few chia seed and boiled chicken.

2904-Fr-hst-ck.jpg

For the Messors, I also got a corn puff "crocodile"- these are for little kids and have no salt or spices on them, they are just plain corn puffs (my friends and I had a games night last night and these came up and I just brought one for my Messors. It is said that they also seem to like popcorn and this is similar).

However, so far, I have to say that there has been no interest whatsoever.

2904-Puff-Croc2.jpg77

Since I have seen that some people on this forum feed chia seed to their harvester ants, I thought I could try these also with my Messors.

Yes, there is definitely some interest there, but I could not observe the addictive run on chia seed that other people were describing.

Ant colonies really seem to show different tastes in things.

This probably helps with competition out in nature, everyone has a slightly different taste and can exploit slightly different things.

2904-Chia.jpg

2904-Messors-chia1.jpg

2904-Messors-chia2.jpg

2904-Messors-Fr-hst-ck.jpg

The Messors completely ignored the piece of apple (so far) but showed some interest in the boiled chicken.

It was however not the overwhelming approval that the liver pate got last week.

2904-Messors-chicken-2.jpg

2904-Messors-chicken1.jpg

As for the colony itself-

I got some nice big larvae in there and also some beautiful huge majors. However, these majors do not seem to leave the nest. I hardly ever see them outside, I only see them using the toilet on occasion.

2904-Messor-colony2.jpg

2904-Messor-colony1.jpg

Edited by Ernteameise, April 29 2023 - 4:12 AM.

• ANTdrew and Becky like this

#31 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 29 2023 - 6:37 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Update:

Well, who would have thought.... I did not expect the Messors, who so far were no fans of sweet things, to like the apple, but turns out they like apple as much as the chicken!

2904-Messors-chicken-apple.jpg

#32 Online Ernteameise - Posted April 29 2023 - 7:42 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

It is official-

I can attest that the marrow of chicken bones is a success.

The girls would like to thank ANTdrew for the recommendation! 

2904-Messor-bone.jpg

#33 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 1 2023 - 2:45 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Since chicken bones appear to be a success, I decided to smash the leftovers and freeze the bits, so I have some treats which I can feed every now and then.

Chicken-bones1.jpg

Chicken-bones-3.jpg

• ANTdrew, Becky and Full_Frontal_Yeti like this

#34 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 7 2023 - 12:22 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Weekly colony update-

not much has happened.

However, there are a couple of absolutely huge larva in the chamber with the queen (chamber middle left). Probably another set of these huge majors which barely leave the nest? I by now suspect their sole reason of existence is chewing up seed (and dragging in pieces of ham when available).

Messors-070523-1.jpg

#35 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 8 2023 - 2:45 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Egg is always a success with these girls (as soon as I drop it in, they come along)

Messor-egg-0805.jpg

They are also completely timid and not aggressive, always prefer to run away instead of fighting. But they are quite pretty- all the shiny smooth black

Messor-worker-0805.jpg

• Becky likes this

#36 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 12 2023 - 11:23 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

With Messors, the eyes are ALWAYS bigger than the stomach (or the carrying capacity).

"I just take the whole thing, thank you very much."

Messor-Ham.jpg

Seed-collecting.jpg

They are so funny, trying to handle food items that are well above what they can manage and then they and up dragging the thing in circles.

Love them to bits.

• Becky and Full_Frontal_Yeti like this

#37 Offline T.C. - Posted May 12 2023 - 7:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
What are you feeding them?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#38 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 13 2023 - 1:16 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

What are you feeding them?

I feed them a very diverse seed mix, which is a mix of the seed the Antstore sells, chia and quinoa seed and some bird seed.

I also feed them the slurry foods from Antstore (I bought the packet, and it also has these powders with sugary foods and insect-protein which looks very much like the insectivore mix for birds; these powders you mix with some water).

As other protein sources, they get egg, steak, chicken (bones and meat) and they absolutely go bonkers for liver pate and ham.

I tried feeding them ant nectar, but they only drink that occasionally, and so I stopped with that, Messor are just not the target audience for ant nectar.

I am not a big fan of live insects- I am much too afraid to introduce parasitic mites, in addition, I do have a very small flat and just do not want feeder insects in here and the suggestion to buy feeder insects and then store them in the freezer and then boil before feeding- I get a much faster and easier result by just offering boiled egg and chicken when I cook for myself.

#39 Online Ernteameise - Posted May 13 2023 - 3:21 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Last night, one of the large majors had left the safety of the nest and was active in the arena. The majors rarely leave the nest.

So I took the opportunity of gently picking her up and taking some pictures with her.

She was not aggressive at all and did not think of biting at all (she was more interested of getting back down to her sisters). After a few minutes, I put her back down.

But she surely is very pretty.

I love these Messor ants- they are gentle, show interesting behavior, are very active and are also very easy to care for. It is no surprise this species is recommended as THE beginner species next to Lasius niger here in Europe.

Personally, I think it was a very good decision and a gift to myself that I decided to get back into ant keeping in February and that I started out with these girls. It is a joy watching all this.

Messor-soldier-large1-1305.jpg

Messor-soldier-best-1305.jpg

Messor-soldier-best-2-1305.jpg

Messor-egg-1305.jpg

The colony is doing well, they continue to love their acrylic nest and live in there, tightly packed, and also store their most valuable seeds in there.

What I have noticed-

there are also some fecal smears in the seed chamber- I wonder if this some kind of territorial claim? Marking what is theirs? "Hands of these seeds, they are ours!"

Messor-1305.jpg

Messor-1305-2.jpg

• Barristan, Becky and FelixTheAnter like this

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2023 - 7:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would love to keep these ants, Lasius niger, too.
  • Ernteameise likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users