• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does olive oil work well as an escape prevention for Myrmicaria Brunnea

#mymicaria #oliveoil #barrier

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:15 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Title basically says it all. I'm a cheapskate and don't want to have to use fluon and it happens i just have olive oil around for cooking and things. Couldn't find answers to this elsewhere so any and all information is appreciated!

if you want to get in contact with me, here's my Discord:

Discord: hoth#0177

#2 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:19 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I haven't had any luck with olive oil at all. It's more like a deterrent than an actual barrier in my experience, and they always eventually just walk over it.

Talcum/baby powder are the way to go, personally. I like to mix talcum powder with alcohol to make a paste and use a paint brush to coat the top inch of the enclosure with it. Once painted, I set it upside down to dry. Upside down prevents the wet mixture from sliding down so it dries where it should stay. Always let the alcohol dry out and evaporate before allowing your ants to come in contact with the enclosure. If you don't have alcohol, I know people who just brush/pour it on there without alcohol.

#3 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:25 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Damn it. I was really hoping it would work. I was told baby powder doesn't work on this species, so I guess over-priced fluon is my only option here. That's a shame.

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:30 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Damn it. I was really hoping it would work. I was told baby powder doesn't work on this species, so I guess over-priced fluon is my only option here. That's a shame.

Weird, I have never heard of any species walking over baby powder, maybe some super tiny species perhaps? Maybe some larger species can step over the barrier? Not sure what is up with that.

#5 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:33 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

They aren't super large ants though. Like 5-7mm so idk why. I think a thick enough barrier would still prevent them, but in any case, talcum powder is banned in my country because it caused cancer in like 0.000001% of people. Do you know anybody that sells fluon cheap that lives in the US as to avoid high shipping costs?

#6 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:40 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Nevermind, apparently its still being sold.

#7 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 2 2023 - 12:47 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

They aren't super large ants though. Like 5-7mm so idk why. I think a thick enough barrier would still prevent them, but in any case, talcum powder is banned in my country because it caused cancer in like 0.000001% of people. Do you know anybody that sells fluon cheap that lives in the US as to avoid high shipping costs?

I live in Florida and talcum is not illegal here. I use it, and baby powder does the same thing. One isn't better than the other.

It works because an ants weight cannot be supported by loose powder. They will always just fall.

Edit: I bought fluon from TarHeelAnts, however I only use it to coat the outworld lid.. I use talcum powder on the walls of the outworld

Edited by Flu1d, April 2 2023 - 12:48 PM.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 2 2023 - 1:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah olive oil isn’t the best barrier choice. Besides what has been already mentioned here, olive oil tends to result in worker deaths.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 2 2023 - 1:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What species are you working with?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 2 2023 - 2:17 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
He said myrmicaria brunnea, which is a southeast asian species.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 2 2023 - 2:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ah, plot twist.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 3 2023 - 1:57 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Yeah olive oil isn’t the best barrier choice. Besides what has been already mentioned here, olive oil tends to result in worker deaths.

That too. I find a couple of workers die every now and then when they're trying to cross the border. Sad stuff. Baby powder it is. Thanks for all the responses everybody!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users