• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hungry termites for art project

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kate123 - Posted March 21 2023 - 1:10 PM

kate123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, looking for some answers/potential sources for termites for an art project.

I have an art project in mind in which we'd watch termites consume a piece of wood around 4sq ft over the course of about a month and a half--the wood wouldn't have to be fully consumed but we'd love to see a good amount of process by the time the exhibition is over. 

The inspiration is the Termitat but at a much more rapid rate -- https://termitat.com/

To start, I'd love suggestions on:

- Species of termite

- Type of wood -- also open to particle board, woodchips, etc. 

and then eventually any assistance in purchasing/sourcing a colony.

Thank you!

#2 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted March 22 2023 - 4:07 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Carolina biological sells termite workers that can live without brood or a queen/king for about 4 months.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2023 - 11:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Termites are extremely secretive and kind of slow to do everything. I think you’ll need a longer time frame to see results on your project. Keeping termites is also a lot more complicated than it seems.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline kate123 - Posted March 23 2023 - 6:47 AM

kate123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hmm... Any suggestions to make our project more viable? The idea is to have termites eat most of a piece of wood inside an enclosure for people to watch. We can always hollow out the wood or set the termites up before the exhibition so there's less to eat while they're on display. 

Termites are extremely secretive and kind of slow to do everything. I think you’ll need a longer time frame to see results on your project. Keeping termites is also a lot more complicated than it seems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users