• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor Ants - Beginner Guidance After Being Advised the Wrong Product

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdougy - Posted March 17 2023 - 1:30 AM

jdougy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm just after some guidance really, I've always wanted a proper formicarium and ant colony since I got given one of those blue gel enclosures when I was a child. After spending some time online researching, I settled on the AntsUK starter kit for Messor Ants, see below link:

https://antsuk.com/p...r-messeor-spec/

I loved the way they showed how the Messor ants worked in the enclosure, with food stores and a separate compartment for living/growing, as well as a foraging area. However, they provided 0 instructions other than to just put the test tube in the formicarium, and then just the basics of providing food, water, cleaning and temp/humidity conditions.

I must admit I did get a bit over excited at this stage, so no need to mention my shortcomings as I'm now aware of them, it's been a learning curve. I regularly checked on the queen, and after 3-4 weeks, very little had happened., I then began heavily researching the care of the ants (I know I should've done this first, but the AntsUk website made it look so easy).

Basically, I'm now aware that my enclose is vastly too big, despite this, the queen and works have dug a small tunnel in the living/growing chamber, she is laying eggs (not many but a few at a time), and although not very active, workers do wonder to the foraging area for food and water.

What I need advice on, is how to resolve this, from reading this forum, I believe I need to get them back in a test tube for a while, before upgrading a 'small hearth' (not sure what that is) once the colony size is sufficient, before then introducing them to the formicarium.

Questions below:

1. How can I get the colony to move into the test tube?

2. What should the test tube set up be?

3. Do I then leave them in the test tube untouched in a dark room? If so, for how long?

4. What is a small hearth, and how should this be set up?

5. At what size should I move the colony first to the small hearth, and then to the large formicarium?

I've grown rather attached to the ants, and feel I have let them down with my lack of knowledge, so just want some guidance to help them recover and thrive.

Some photos attached

Thanks everyone.

Attached Images

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 09.28.08.jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 09.28.09.jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 09.28.09 (1).jpeg

#2 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 17 2023 - 4:47 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

that's a good nest. Its "big" but they are digging their own space so no one can say, "its too big for them". They are literally the ones making it. Going backward to a testtube is more work than the other way around. I would just continue forward.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2023 - 8:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Exactly as Aznphenom said, the size of your nest there is only the size of their tunnel. Moving the ants to a test tube is unnecessary and would be stressful for you and the colony. Your setup looks just fine. If they are not doing well, I would look to other factors like their diet, temperature, and humidity. 

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Katakros8 - Posted March 17 2023 - 8:08 AM

Katakros8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDenver USA

that's a good nest. Its "big" but they are digging their own space so no one can say, "its too big for them". They are literally the ones making it. Going backward to a testtube is more work than the other way around. I would just continue forward.

I'm just going to completely agree with what was said here. Your ants will dig for the space they need and nothing more, so no need to worry about too much space plus they will definitely grown into it over time. Cool species wish I could get them in the states and welcome to an awesome hobby!

#5 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 17 2023 - 8:12 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'm just going to completely agree with what was said here. Your ants will dig for the space they need and nothing more, so no need to worry about too much space plus they will definitely grown into it over time. Cool species wish I could get them in the states and welcome to an awesome hobby!

I think the Pogonomyrmex you have in CO are a lot more fun than messor. To me, messor are like the Camponotus pennsylvanicus of the US. Big black, slow growing, boring at the activity level. 

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#6 Offline Katakros8 - Posted March 17 2023 - 8:28 AM

Katakros8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDenver USA

I think the Pogonomyrmex you have in CO are a lot more fun than messor. To me, messor are like the Camponotus pennsylvanicus of the US. Big black, slow growing, boring at the activity level.

I actually keep Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, definitely my favorite species so far but again I'd let your colony do their thing and I'm sure they will be fine

#7 Offline jdougy - Posted March 17 2023 - 9:02 AM

jdougy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Exactly as Aznphenom said, the size of your nest there is only the size of their tunnel. Moving the ants to a test tube is unnecessary and would be stressful for you and the colony. Your setup looks just fine. If they are not doing well, I would look to other factors like their diet, temperature, and humidity. 

Thank you for all of your advice everyone, it's hugely appreciated, and has removed a lot of my stress!

Regarding your point about their diet, temperature and humidity.

If you could give some further guidance on that it would really help.

Food:

I've read in a few places that they get the majority of what they require from the seeds they eat, so I always ensure they have a supply. They also always have water available. I also provide sugar water in a separate feeder, and protein jelly once and a while.

Temperature and Humidity:

How do you measure the temperature and humidity inside the actual nesting section of the setup, due to how narrow the areas are, I can't get a temperature or humidity gauge in there? If I could measure this I could ensure I had everything right.

For temperature, I have a heat pad split between the 2 areas (see original photo), as I didn't want to overheat them, and thought they could adjust their position to warmer areas if required. Is this also the best position for the heat mat, or should it be positioned on the side (as it it were flat against the glass)? Likewise, as a Mediterranean species, should I have a heat mat under all areas?

For humidity I drop water into the nesting area, which is absorbed by the substrate, increasing humidity. This seems to be welcomed by the ants, as on one occasion when their nesting area became dry'ish, and the water feeder leaked in the scavenging area, and they promptly relocated (until I then watered the nesting area again).

Again, really appreciative all of the advice, this forum has already provided me with more support than searching around on websites.

#8 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 17 2023 - 9:59 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Ant keeping is easy if you don't over think it. You just need to provide the 4 essentials. 5th is heat and that is subjective as long as you don't live in freezing temp indoor. Heat is just to maximize growth rates. Carb, protein, humidity, and drinking water are the living essentials. Those humidity and temp readers are just gimmicks as long as the ants have the option to move. They will find their optimized conditions. And that's not even guaranteed. Some colonies are dumb enough to sit in death than to move. and last, those protein jello are trash. Carb and protein should never be mixed. 

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 18 2023 - 12:09 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

As people have previously stated that formicarium is completely fine, the nice thing about natural or dirt setups is that the ants will make a nes5 at their own pace. Also when you were mentioning a hearth, what you were probably hearing is a THA (Tar Heel Ants) Mini hearth. Now ant keeping is pretty straight forward and you just have to do a few basic things. Monitor them (make sure no mold or bacteria is growing), feed them (as much as they will take), keep them hydrated (you don’t need a thermometer or hygrometer, if you are happy, your ants are happy and if anything you can add a heating cable) and lastly get to know your colony (every colony is different and has their own quirks. I suggest reading care guides on that species or at leas5 genus to get an idea of their care but to be completely honest, it doesn’t get much easier than messor). Have fun and good luck in your anting escapades.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users