• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker not moving after hibernation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:03 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Today when my Camponotus Pennyslavanicus colony finally emerged from hibernation my queen was moving and well but my workers were not moving at all.
I hibernated them at a steady 54 degrees f with another colony which was fine
My colony is in a AntAus mini nest. Can anyone help
  • antperson24 likes this

#2 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:08 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Today when my Camponotus Pennyslavanicus colony finally emerged from hibernation my queen was moving and well but my workers were not moving at all.
I hibernated them at a steady 54 degrees f with another colony which was fine
My colony is in a AntAus mini nest. Can anyone help

This is normal. It might take up to a week for them to get back to normal, but they should be just fine!  ;)

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, give them some time. Do the same thing with the forum. Hit post once and wait.
  • Manitobant, antperson24 and CHessantking like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:20 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you But I can also send a picture or video to help you if you guys would like
Thank you But I can also send a picture or video to help you if you guys would like

#5 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:20 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

You don't really need to, I'm sure they are fine.

#6 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 4 2023 - 1:25 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank all of you
Thank all of you
  • antperson24 likes this

#7 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 5 2023 - 9:36 AM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Today I have checked up on my Ants and they still seem to be in then same position as before with only the queen being active.
I will also share some more detail I may of left out yesterday,All the worker appear to be closed up in like a dead position which I believe could be the worse situation.

#8 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 5 2023 - 10:17 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Today I have checked up on my Ants and they still seem to be in then same position as before with only the queen being active.
I will also share some more detail I may of left out yesterday,All the worker appear to be closed up in like a dead position which I believe could be the worse situation.

I highly doubt they are dead, they should start moving around soon. You could try heating their test tube slightly, and see if that helps. 

#9 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 5 2023 - 3:10 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you
  • antperson24 likes this

#10 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 5 2023 - 9:04 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I also was wondering in case of all my workers being dead, is it possible to redound a queen ant just like they did before getting their nanatics or is that not possible.

#11 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 6 2023 - 5:35 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I also was wondering in case of all my workers being dead, is it possible to redound a queen ant just like they did before getting their nanatics or is that not possible.

It will be more difficult, but it is possible. You will need to feed her protein (in the form of insects) and a sugar source (in the form of honey); that way she will be able to produce more eggs. 

#12 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 6 2023 - 8:55 AM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes I Think I have an Idea oh how to do it, with this one Antscanada video in which he had a queen with only males he put a piece of cricket inside the tube so that the queen would be able to eat it which I think is the strategy you are talking about.

• antperson24 likes this

#13 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 6 2023 - 6:16 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Yes I Think I have an Idea oh how to do it, with this one Antscanada video in which he had a queen with only males he put a piece of cricket inside the tube so that the queen would be able to eat it which I think is the strategy you are talking about.

Yep, that sounds like what you need to do. You might also look up how to care for semi-claustral queens, as caring for her would be like caring for one of them.

#14 Offline Katla - Posted March 6 2023 - 7:50 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

at what temperature are they set now and did you make re heat them gradually ?

image.png

#15 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 7 2023 - 9:18 AM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I had taken them out of hibernation at a mid to high 60s temperature which is the recommended temperature from some websites and keepers.Also I had another colony of the same species which was unaffected with everyone being alive and with a lot of brood. although I don't know why this happened I may have an idea as to why this may have happened which is the only logical one I could think of. Back in April of 2022 I had bought a Black Carpenter ant colony off Ants emporium with 6 workers and through the year I had entered hibernation with 8 or 9 workers. I had bought them because I did not know how to catch Queen ants In the wild.Later in June my luck changed when I caught 2 queen ants which turned out to be fertile.By August They had brought the first worker into the workers into the world.One of queen grew faster than the other, which I  gave away to my friend who cared for them until Hibernation.

And when Hibernation was over I had taken them out with The Queens I caught with all their workers alive while the Queen I got in april being the only one active for the past few days.

#16 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 7 2023 - 11:50 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I had taken them out of hibernation at a mid to high 60s temperature which is the recommended temperature from some websites and keepers.Also I had another colony of the same species which was unaffected with everyone being alive and with a lot of brood. although I don't know why this happened I may have an idea as to why this may have happened which is the only logical one I could think of. Back in April of 2022 I had bought a Black Carpenter ant colony off Ants emporium with 6 workers and through the year I had entered hibernation with 8 or 9 workers. I had bought them because I did not know how to catch Queen ants In the wild.Later in June my luck changed when I caught 2 queen ants which turned out to be fertile.By August They had brought the first worker into the workers into the world.One of queen grew faster than the other, which I  gave away to my friend who cared for them until Hibernation.

And when Hibernation was over I had taken them out with The Queens I caught with all their workers alive while the Queen I got in april being the only one active for the past few days.

Having them too warm would not have killed them, but I recommend mid to upper fifties for hibernation. 

#17 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 7 2023 - 12:24 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

yes but do you think that maybe the reason to why this has happened is because I bought the ants online from a website that catches their queen from texas which has a much different climate and hibernation requirements?

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 7 2023 - 12:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My guess is that they dehydrated in the 3D printed nest. In the future, hibernate ants in test tubes or nest with refillable water towers.
  • antperson24 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline CHessantking - Posted March 7 2023 - 3:33 PM

CHessantking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

ok thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users