• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Asim's Camponotus sp. Journal.

camponotus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted January 15 2023 - 7:10 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida
So, I was waiting outside my school on Thursday and their was some construction work going on. Their was this piece of wood on the ground they lifted it and found a young camponotus colony under it. I quickly ran up and put them in a small box from my lunch box while they were not looking. I brought them home and but the box in a ten gallon tank with an inch of water so the do not escape. This tank was outside. Then it rained overnight and I did not check on them Friday morning. After I got back from school the tank was flooded. And only three ants looked alive. I quickly put them in a test tube and took all the floating ants and put them in a small plastic container. Overnight about half of the colonies population woke up (about 20 workers) then I but them in a small naturalistic setup. The queen survived but she looks like a dwarf. She is only 8 mm. But the colony also had a winged alate which was about 16 mm. Does anybody have an id for this species (will send pics later). And does anybody know why their queen is a dwarf.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users