• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chalks myrmecocystus placodops journal

myrm

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chall - Posted January 13 2023 - 4:38 AM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
On January 10th, I drove a few miles down south to pick up a myrmecocystus placodops colony from YsTheAnt (awesome dude, by the way!) first time with ants this large and unique...
Seeing the repletes begin to change color and grow from the different mixes I’ve been feeding them and all of the larvae munch down on all the mealworm/cricket/fruitfly meat. The colors with the red heads and the dark bodies make them a site to behold and good lord; they have long legs. I love watching them explore and run around

I’ve noticed near midnight, they start to fill the entrance of the bamboo tube they have with sand, and by the time I wake up, it’s open again. I figured they would be foraging 24/7, but even ants need a break.

I also love how they are constantly digging up—burying, and moving random cricket legs or pieces of small sand.

100-110 workers (maybe might be super far off)

4-5 large (MASSIVE) Larvae

finally, an absurd amount of smaller larvae

Fairly sure they are hiding a big pile of eggs, but I am still waiting on the red filter so until then, I won’t be able to get a good look at the nest.

I’m terrified of exposing the nest to light, so best to wait.

Anywhoo, have a good night everyone. Let me know if you have any advice on keeping these guys. Please send me a pm or something because, honestly, I don’t know all that much about them.
  • aqandres4 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users