• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

formicarium building questions

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 20 2015 - 8:29 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I am messing around with some new plans to build a hydrostone formicarium but to do so I have a few questions.

When I am casting the hydrostone, will it bond to acrylic or not? I want to be able to make the clay tunnels on the acrylic but I am afraid that it will just permanently bond with the acrylic and end up unremovable.

And second, what size tubing should be used? I know vinyl tubing seems to be the most popular, but I don't know what size would be appropriate. Would 3/4" be good?

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 6:39 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I tend to use 5/16" x 7/16" tubing for most colonies. 1/2" should be fine.  For the largest colonies of larger species I will use bigger tubing.

I have never played with hydrostone (mostly because I have never found it locally).  Perhaps a light layer of olive oil or a faint smear of vaseline on the acrylic before pouring the hydrostone?  Even try with just a 1/2 cup in a cardboard frame on some scrap acrylic to see how it behaves.

Then let us know what worked the best.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 21 2015 - 6:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hydrostone absolutely will not bond with plastic. It does however, expand quite a bit, so if it is poured between two sides, it will be wedged in very tightly and probably be hard to remove.

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:05 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Alright cool, thank you guys. I'll need to change up my plans a bit. Speaking of which, I want the face of my formicarium to be removable so that I can clean it afterwards, and as such i don't want to silicone it in. Could I drill holes through the acrylic and use screws/washers to screw it in to the hydrostone? Anyone have experience doing that?

Sorry about so many questions, I've only done really basic casting with plaster of paris. I haven't had the chance to work with new stuff.

Edited by klawfran3, August 21 2015 - 7:07 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You can, but they will easily strip out.

#6 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:48 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

What if I drill a shallow hole and lay the head of the screw in that, then seal it up with a bit of hydrostone? That way the threads are facing out and I can just slide the holes in the acrylic over and thread a washer/ nut on the end. That might work?

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 9:37 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

If you drill a hole and use washers on both sides of a bolt, and a nut on the end it should hold.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#8 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 10:04 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

But won't that lift the acrylic a bit off the hydrostone? The washer would leave a millimeter worth of space if I put one there.

#9 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 12:15 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Actually I think I have an idea on how to connect it removably. I got a 4" bolt, two washers, and a nut. I am going to drill a hole through the acrylic and entirely through the hydrostone, then feed the bolt in from the back with a washer so that it goes through then entire setup, then screw a smaller washer and nut on to the end to hold it in place. Let's see if it works.

And random idea I thought of when I went through the isles of home depot, could I use small neodymium magnets or would that not be strong enough? Like 1/2 cm magnets siliconed on the outside of the acrylic and embeded in to the face of the plaster. Could that work at all?

Edited by klawfran3, August 21 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 1:51 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The order I meant was:  top of bolt - washer - acrylic - hydrostone - washer - nut.

Nothing between the acrylic and the hydrostone.

My Colonies

#11 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 2:13 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Oh oops. I must have misread then. That seems to be the best idea at the moment, so thank you!

And anyone have any opinions on the magnets?

#12 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 21 2015 - 2:16 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I believe THA uses them.

#13 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 2:23 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I have seen magnets used before.

I refuse to use them with cats and the occasional visiting kids...  :D

• klawfran3 likes this

My Colonies

#14 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 3:45 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I believe THA uses them.

Hmm... Would it be legal for me to do it then? Have they patented it at all and could I get in legal trouble if I use it?

And one final question, what sealant would I use on the sides to prevent water loss?

Edited by klawfran3, August 21 2015 - 4:17 PM.

#15 Offline Huch - Posted August 21 2015 - 5:36 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Why not glue a handle to the acrylic?

#16 Offline Miles - Posted August 21 2015 - 6:41 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I believe THA uses them.

Hmm... Would it be legal for me to do it then? Have they patented it at all and could I get in legal trouble if I use it?

And one final question, what sealant would I use on the sides to prevent water loss?

Tar Heel Ants does not have a patent for the use of magnets in a formicarium. 

If you copied their designs and sold them commercially, that would be disrespectful and could be a problem. However I don't see anything you're doing to be illegal or illicit so far.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#17 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:42 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I believe THA uses them.

Tar Heel Ants does not have a patent for the use of magnets in a formicarium. 

If you copied their designs and sold them commercially, that would be disrespectful and could be a problem. However I don't see anything you're doing to be illegal or illicit so far.

Alright cool. Thank you for the info haha. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 21 2015 - 8:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Magnets have been used in products to hold things in place for a very long time. Take a look at many cabinet doors.

• prettycode and klawfran3 like this

#19 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 23 2015 - 9:37 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Last question, what sealant would I use on the sides to prevent water loss? I have the mold ready to pour.

#20 Offline Subverted - Posted August 23 2015 - 10:02 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

On the sides of the grout? You could smear some 100% silicone on there, that is probably what I would do if trying to make something similar to the Tarheel designs

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users