• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Izzy's Camponotus sansabeanus Journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Izzy - Posted November 27 2023 - 4:45 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUtah

I've been trying to decide which of my ants to start a journal on, and although the anting season here has wrapped up I think I have decided. I'm going to highlight my journey in raising the Camponotus sansabeanus queens I found this year.

On June 30th in the deserts of Utah I flipped a large rock and came across a massive mature colony of thousands of beautiful golden Carpenter ants with lots of brood, and huge majors with black heads. Being my first year anting, I was stunned at the size of this colony and to have found something so different than what I am used to seeing everywhere: black ants.

PXL_20230630_234713976.jpg

I was thrilled when an hour later I stumbled upon a grove of juniper trees and after flipping hundreds of rocks, and dripping with sweat, I managed to capture 12 queens! I got more than I needed knowing that sometimes they die or end up infertile. When I got home from collecting, I noted that one of them appeared dead on its back and made no movement when I picked it up with tweezers. I almost threw her into the trash thinking her to be dead, but decided to put her into a test tube as well. Honestly, I thought I was being dumb, she was obviously dead. I kept them in box and didn't check on them for 3 months. 

PXL_20230701_030538467.jpg

To my surprise, when I opened the box 3 months later, the "dead" queen was alive! I was honestly so shocked, but glad I had trusted my gut feeling! All the queens had laid a clutch of eggs. After the three month mark I started checking weekly while waiting for the first workers to eclose. During this time two of the queens ate their brood and failed to produce anymore eggs prior to hibernation. Hopefully they will come spring. The rest went on to produce ninitics.

PXL_20230701_041227020.MP.jpg

It was interesting to see the diversity of how many workers each queen produced. I had a range of every number from 1-7 workers depending on colony. I decided to keep the two colonies with 7 workers and the one with 6 as my own, and hopefully to sell the rest. I did notice that the colonies who only produced 1 and 2 workers had much bigger workers. They didn't appear to look anything like the ninitics of the other colonies at all. I know that the caste of ant is determined by how much protein it receives during its larval stage, but it was cool to see that the two queens who had less workers to feed essentially skipped having ninitics at all and produced workers that were bigger, had darker exoskeletons, and appeared more like the workers I had seen in the desert.

Once I had decided which to keep, I had Utah Ants build me two formicarium for my desert carpenter ants. He did a great job and I love having the window above to let in light and for easier photography.
PXL_20231128_002237499.jpg

PXL_20231128_002246283.jpg

On November 1st, they went into hibernation in my mini fridge. I'm anxiously awaiting the end of their hibernation! They have quickly become some of my favorite ants in my collection. I think they're stunning to look at. I would love to successfully raise a large colony of these beauties, so any help, advice, or suggestions to ensure the success of these colonies would be appreciated!

• UtahAnts and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#2 Offline Izzy - Posted April 2 2024 - 9:01 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUtah

I didn't have much to post on these colonies until now, but they're finally starting to feel more active. I kept them in diapause from November 1st to February 28th, along with the other queens in tubes I had caught. I was happy to see that there were no worker deaths at all among all of the colonies, and that only one of the queens (which had originally eaten its brood prior to diapause) had died during diapause.

This left me with only one brood-less queen which had also previously eaten her brood. She continued to fail to produce any eggs in a test tube setup until I moved her into a container full of dirt at which point she promptly laid eggs. Unfortunately, she died today from what I suspect may have been desiccation. I thought I had hydrated the dirt setup enough, as it was moist, but my guess is she wasn't able to drink from the dirt and I had forgotten to give her access to a liquid feeder as a back up.

This is the third Camponotus queen I suspect I have lost to desiccation in my year and a half of ant keeping. I'm not sure what the correlation is but in all three cases they seemed to have at least one limb that would no longer function. They would begin dragging themselves around awkwardly until their death, which usually followed the next day. I suspected lack of water as the cause of death in every case because of some oversight of mine in hydration, and because they promptly would drink water when provided to them. However in every case it appeared that once they had lost function of their limb(s) it was too late for them and death swiftly followed.

On a more positive note, all of the remaining colonies seem to be thriving. They all have significant brood piles, and the two in the formicaria seem to be gaining confidence as I often see them in their outworld more and more during the day. I know Camponotus tend to be more nocturnal, which has always been a bit sad because I never would see them doing much in the day. I would either wake up to the food I provided them missing, or I would have to stay up to observe their behavior. They're definitely still more active at night, but its nice to see them being more active at day.

Here is a pile of brood from one of the colonies.

brood.JPG

I took the eggs of the dead queen from the dirt setup and placed them in the outworld of the other colony not pictured here. They seem to be gone so I'm hoping they added them to their pile, but they may have eaten them. Its hard to tell at this point.

Here is a photo of trophallaxis between a nanitic and queen

queen-worker-troph.JPG

Overall, I'm excited for the growth of these colonies. They're my most successful Camponotus to date and showing promise of crushing that record in the near future. I've fed them a diet of mealworms, super worms, crickets, dubia roaches, and found that they were even receptive to freeze dried bloodworms. I haven't tried the bloodworm soup yet, but I was glad to see they accepted them in freeze dried form (in fact all my colonies of mixed genus went wild for them the first time I fed them freeze dried bloodworms, but seemed less receptive the second time).

Also here is a picture of the largest queen of the Camponotus sansabeanus I caught. I don't feel like this picture does it justice, but she is an absolute monster. She only had one worker in her first batch, and while the ninatics of this species kind of remind me of the color of Myrmecocystus, this lone worker received enough nutrients to become a normal worker with an orange and black exoskeleton, and the colony skipped having any nanitics at all. For reference she is in a 20x150 mm test tube.

big-queen.jpg

I may end up keeping her as well as I'm curious to see how she progresses. Is there any correlation between the size of a queen and maybe the health of their colony or anything? Surprisingly, the most productive queens of the twelve I caught were all average sized, where as two of the biggest queens actually had the least workers but they were normal workers (not ninatics) and both queens lack as much orange pigmentation and almost appear to have none.

Edited by Izzy, April 2 2024 - 9:04 PM.

• UtahAnts, TacticalHandleGaming and Ernteameise like this

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted April 3 2024 - 3:12 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Fantastic pictures! Hoping the best for all those colonies.

It's a bit hard to make them out but those two large queens might be Camponotus vicinus? C. vicinus and sansabeanus queens do look similar. It would explain the large queen and nanitic size, along with the darker worker coloration.

• Izzy likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline Izzy - Posted April 3 2024 - 6:54 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUtah

Fantastic pictures! Hoping the best for all those colonies.

It's a bit hard to make them out but those two large queens might be Camponotus vicinus? C. vicinus and sansabeanus queens do look similar. It would explain the large queen and nanitic size, along with the darker worker coloration.

Thank you! The macro lens I have is really hard to work with sometimes. I feel like the depth of field is so small that with large ants like Camponotus its hard to get them entirely in focus unless they're parallel with the camera. It works great for tiny ants like Monomorium though!

You know, that started to occur to me. Maybe those two aren't Camponotus sansabeanus at all. I found them all together in a Juniper-Pinyon Pine forest all next to each other a day or two after a large flight so I assumed they were, but maybe I should get some better pictures for identification on those two and see if they in fact are.

They do look different than the other two Camponotus vicinus queens I have found that were identified on here as vicinus, but isn't vicinus a pretty large group complex with lots of variation? The coloring on them definitely feels more orange than red, but it could still be some kind of Camponotus vicinus.

• UtahAnts likes this

#5 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted April 3 2024 - 7:37 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

It looks like some color variation vicinus. I have kept many C.vicinus and this colony looks like one as the Gaster's look a little darker than how a sansa gaster should be.

• Izzy likes this

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users