• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Custom nests for sale

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 12 2022 - 9:43 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationQuakertown Pennsylvania
Welcome to Cup Of Ants

So I have two models at the moment I do make custom ones to fit needs at the moment the two styles will be displayed below I mainly keep micro ants so these are made to suit more small ant needs and are escape proof.

Also this first nest the plastic can come in three colors "Green, White, Black". If you have a custom nest design you want done using this nest cup send images of how you'd like it make and I can help achieve that for you.

Nest #1
Size medium
"Main Hub Nest"

This nest it set up to have different height to help the ants choose a humidity the fits there needs works well for ants that a very picky on humidity.

Attached Images

• IMG_20221102_010925477~2.jpg
  • IMG_20221102_010943101~2.jpg
  • logo.png

Edited by MrEnfenete, November 13 2022 - 7:17 AM.

• UtahAnts likes this

#2 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 12 2022 - 9:48 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nest style #2

Size Nano

"Queens Tower"

These nest I had originally made for my acorn ants because they only would nest in places I couldn't view them at so through trial and error I've come to a design that fits there needs and has so much control of how they are care for but so simple.

Attached Images

• IMG_20221101_135824142.jpg
  • IMG_20221101_135812715.jpg

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 13 2022 - 7:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
How does hydration work?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 13 2022 - 8:04 AM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Those pipes on the side you fill them with water and it slowly drains into the nest making certain parts of the nest wet and others are dry giving them choice of where to place there young I've been using these for about a few years with great success.
The nest are made of grout

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted November 13 2022 - 12:30 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
From my experience grout is not absorbent enough for a design like this. And even when a colony does have a successful establishment, the poor humidity kills them in hibernation.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 13 2022 - 1:59 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's worked very well for me haven't had any loses and I keep alot of very difficult species. Grout does absorb water and holds it very well. Maybe the type of grout you used wasn't sanded most sanded grouts hold water.

#7 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 13 2022 - 2:04 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
This nest has been holding the same humidity for a few weeks now the water catches in the bottom of the up like a reservoir and will keep winking it up to the ants.

Attached Images

• IMG_20221113_170219199.jpg

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 13 2022 - 2:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You might get even more water absorption if you mixed in bands of perlite into the grout.
  • T.C. likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 13 2022 - 2:23 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Could do that as well I just have always done it this way because of how well it's worked for my Strumigenys pergandei and Temnothorax curvispinosus.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted November 13 2022 - 2:32 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
I guess it would vary on how thick the grout is. But personally, ill pass on nests without water towers.

Edited by T.C., November 13 2022 - 2:33 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 13 2022 - 9:18 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
What species have you kept in there and do you have any photos of said ants in there?
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#12 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 13 2022 - 9:46 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I currently am keeping at the moment Strumigenys pergandei, Strumigenys clypeata, Temnothorax curvispinosus was but recently just traded it to a friend for some Stigmatomma pallipes currently I keep them in soil but am in the process of having them transfer to these nests. At the moment I have a very cheap phone and don't have any photos of my colony's but I'm thinking sometime soon I'll invest in a camera with a micro lense to take photos of my ants. I kept these micro ants due to size and space needed to be kept. I've had both of my Strumigenys colonies going for about 2 years and about 4 months going strong.

Edited by MrEnfenete, November 13 2022 - 9:48 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

#13 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 14 2022 - 4:50 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

I currently am keeping at the moment Strumigenys pergandei, Strumigenys clypeata, Temnothorax curvispinosus was but recently just traded it to a friend for some Stigmatomma pallipes currently I keep them in soil but am in the process of having them transfer to these nests. At the moment I have a very cheap phone and don't have any photos of my colony's but I'm thinking sometime soon I'll invest in a camera with a micro lense to take photos of my ants. I kept these micro ants due to size and space needed to be kept. I've had both of my Strumigenys colonies going for about 2 years and about 4 months going strong.

That's pretty impressive.. How often do you have escapes?

#14 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 14 2022 - 7:31 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
In the beginning I had a lot because of the size tubing and drill bits I was using would create micro gaps that they could get out from but since I have changed drill bits to a Dowel bits I've had the holes be the exact size for the tube to slide in and makes a perfect seal. So as of this year has been no escapes because of this change and is why I want to sell some of my work to ant keeps who have smaller more sensitive ants.

#15 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 15 2022 - 8:52 AM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nest name "Sandbar"
Size Medium

Attached Images

• IMG_20221115_114618555.jpg
  • IMG_20221115_114625769.jpg

#16 Offline aznphenom - Posted November 15 2022 - 9:05 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

In the beginning I had a lot because of the size tubing and drill bits I was using would create micro gaps that they could get out from but since I have changed drill bits to a Dowel bits I've had the holes be the exact size for the tube to slide in and makes a perfect seal. So as of this year has been no escapes because of this change and is why I want to sell some of my work to ant keeps who have smaller more sensitive ants.

what's a dowel bits? Googling it seems just to show normally looking bits

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#17 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 15 2022 - 10:10 AM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
They have spur ends if you'd like I can link you to the ones I use.

#18 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 15 2022 - 10:14 AM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here's the drill bits I use.
https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B0049C7CTW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users