• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Atta Texana Help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheDrW6 - Posted October 26 2022 - 8:07 PM

TheDrW6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The atta Texana that I’m taking care of are putting honey water on their fungus. Is this a bad thing?

Edited by TheDrW6, October 26 2022 - 8:09 PM.

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted October 27 2022 - 7:01 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
No it is a bad thing

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 27 2022 - 7:01 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Why are you even feeding them honey water in the first place? Leafcutters do not need sweets or protein, they get all their nutrition from the fungus they feed leaves to.

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 27 2022 - 7:18 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Never give fungus growers sugar water! They get everything they need from the fungus. BIG NO NO

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 27 2022 - 7:46 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

-1 to Manitobant and ZTYguy

Adult workers get most of their nutrition from cutting leaves and drinking nectar, with only small amounts coming from fungus. I do not feed my Atta sugar water (any more), but that's because I'm intentionally trying to shorten their lifespan so the colony doesn't grow too big. I used to regularly feed them sugars.

TLDR: leafcutters very much appreciate sugars

My guess is the "honey" you are seeing is little brownish/yellowish liquid beads on the fungus? Is the colony less than a year old? I'm not entirely sure what these are, but my best guess is it's bundles of gongylidia liquifying (the organ that the ants feed their larvae). I saw this all the time in the first year of my colony, but it eventually just disappeared. As long as the fungus is at proper humidity and temp, it's nothing to worry about -- the ants know how to regulate the fungus, including dealing with honey.

Edited by mmcguffi, October 27 2022 - 7:49 AM.

• Mettcollsuss, aznphenom, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#6 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 27 2022 - 8:09 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Never give fungus growers sugar water! They get everything they need from the fungus. BIG NO NO

I wouldn't say never. They really appreciate it, and it will help grow their fungus because they don't need to eat as much. Watch Arthropod Antics' video on their Atta mexicana regrowing their fungus that was severely damaged and solely surviving on sugar water. And I know you guys read CheetoLord's Atta mexicana journal at some point so please refer to that for more information.

Edited by NicholasP, October 27 2022 - 8:10 AM.

#7 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 27 2022 - 8:22 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
I don't think u should be feeding them honey water.or why do you think they're fungus growers.

Edited by Ant-nig321, October 27 2022 - 8:23 AM.

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 27 2022 - 8:33 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I don't think u should be feeding them honey water.or why do you think they're fungus growers.

It's perfectly fine to do and beneficial.

#9 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 27 2022 - 8:35 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'd just like to say please guys... If you haven't ever kept Atta or done extensive research on them then just don't say anything. It's confusing for new people with situations like these.

• mmcguffi, aznphenom and OiledOlives like this

#10 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 27 2022 - 9:05 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Sorry,so what should he do to prevent this from happening again?

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 27 2022 - 9:14 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Sorry,so what should he do to prevent this from happening again?

It's something that can't be prevented. That orange stuff on the fungus is likely not sugar water but a liquid the fungus secretes during the first year or two of the colony. It's fine and doesn't seem to harm the ants.

#12 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 27 2022 - 9:59 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Hmm good info.

#13 Offline TheDrW6 - Posted October 29 2022 - 2:37 PM

TheDrW6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for all the info!
How long does it take for eggs to go to workers? The tiniest ones

#14 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 29 2022 - 4:47 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Are you in West/South Texas? Only populations near the US/Mexico border fly late summer/fall, and the last flights I saw on iNaturalist were a couple of months ago

If you do somehow have an incipient colony (new colony)... why are you feeding honey at this stage? Atta texana are fully claustral and the queens won't take any

In any case, to answer your question, ~5 weeks from eggs -> nanitics

#15 Offline TheDrW6 - Posted October 29 2022 - 5:08 PM

TheDrW6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No they aren’t a new colony- they have about 40 workers and I was just curious how long a regular (non nanitic) worker span from egg to worker was.

#16 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 29 2022 - 5:11 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

That I'm not sure of -- no faster than the nanitic development time, so at least ~5 weeks

but keep in mind Atta lay constantly not in batches, so the numbers will just continue grow

Edited by mmcguffi, October 29 2022 - 5:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users