• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How good are gel nests?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 16 2022 - 12:31 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
How good is the actual nest part of most jell nests? If I remove the jell and and dirt or sand, how good will it be compared to other professional formicariums?

#2 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted October 16 2022 - 12:48 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I don't recommend gel ant farms, theu mold too easily

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2022 - 1:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best nest for a beginner is the classic test tube in an escape proof outworld. Hobby Lobby is a great place to find clear display cases with tight fitting lids in all kinds of sizes.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 16 2022 - 4:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
No offense but can you please put all your future questions into a single post, or at least read the important topics section before asking a question?

Sorry if it comes off as rude, you’ve just been clogging up the forum and a bunch of your questions can be answered by simply reading the highlighted topics at the top right of the main page
  • T.C. likes this

#5 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 16 2022 - 5:15 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Sorry, I havent had much to do in the past few days so I've mostly been on this forum. I will stop. Just looked at the recent posts and oh my. thanks for telling me if i was beimg to much.

Edited by LowQualityAnts, October 16 2022 - 5:27 PM.

• Manitobant and NicholasP like this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 16 2022 - 7:38 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah forums are in general quite slow paced. If you are interested in more fast paced discussions and such, I’d highly recommend joining one of the antkeeping discord servers.

Edited by Manitobant, October 16 2022 - 8:06 PM.

• NicholasP likes this

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 16 2022 - 7:58 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Sorry, I havent had much to do in the past few days so I've mostly been on this forum. I will stop. Just looked at the recent posts and oh my. thanks for telling me if i was beimg to much.

It's alright! Don't feel horrible about it. It's a learning experience when first joining a forum.

• Manitobant likes this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted October 16 2022 - 10:41 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

How good is the actual nest part of most jell nests? If I remove the jell and and dirt or sand, how good will it be compared to other professional formicariums?

Most of them are pretty meh. They're designed as cheap kids toys that don't have to last long because if used as intended certainly the ants won't.

There are SOME decent designs that can be used when replacing the gel but most of them are cheap crap.

My recommendation is to buy some cheap food freezer boxes or an IKEA Godmorgon box set instead and to fill them with sand-loam mix, hydrostone or grout.

Edited by Serafine, October 16 2022 - 10:46 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 16 2022 - 10:49 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
If you want more fast paced chat and not as formal as a forum you can try AntChat or servers such as Ants & Ant Keeping or Ant Keeping & Ethology. I have an invite down below for antchat if you would like to check it out. It’s a calm place to just chat and have fun.

https://discord.gg/4Xrr3Esv
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted October 17 2022 - 4:40 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The problem isn't your activity, the problem is you opening another topic for a single question each. This clutters the forums and makes them look just as bad as a reddit page or a facebook group.

You can just slap all of your questions into one topic (like "new antkeeper questions" or something like that).

This also makes it easier for users who have already engaged in that topic to find your follow-up questions as they're in the same place as your first one and people who answered on your first questions will likely do so with the follow-up ones as well.

Edited by Serafine, October 17 2022 - 4:43 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 17 2022 - 5:47 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Alright thanks! I'll follow your advice. I have had to much freetime lately as I have been on vacation and was looking at ant stuff most of the time. Pretty much all of my questions have been answered and I am back now so I will keep the questions down.

#12 Offline rptraut - Posted October 17 2022 - 10:46 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I would like to hear an answer to this question that is from someone's personal experience.  Has anyone actually raised a colony in a gel nest and how did it go?  Is there a way to improve the gel compound so it is better for the ants?  What if gel is used as a substrate and test tubes are merely imbedded in it?  Can gel nests be made that are better for the ants and the ant keeper?

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#13 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 18 2022 - 3:51 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
One of the problems with jell nests is it gets very moist. You would either have to make an alternative jelly or house a species that needs moisture. You would also have to solve the mold problem and find a chemical disinfectant that is non-toxic and is powerful enough to keep the mold at bay for long periods of time. You might as well just use dirt or sand instead at this point.

#14 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 18 2022 - 5:41 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I would like to hear an answer to this question that is from someone's personal experience.  Has anyone actually raised a colony in a gel nest and how did it go?  Is there a way to improve the gel compound so it is better for the ants?  What if gel is used as a substrate and test tubes are merely imbedded in it?  Can gel nests be made that are better for the ants and the ant keeper?

The problem is that gel is barely nutritious for the ants. Also, the gel molds and ants can get stuck in the gel so I don't think many people will say they had success with gel farms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users