• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is your least favorite ant and why don't you like them?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 24 2022 - 9:06 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Monomorium pharaohnis and Tapinoma melanocephalum just love to absolutely destroy my ant room and I managed to fix the issue somehow but I still hate them. And M. pharaohnis just love to bite and sting me no matter where I go, including right now.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#22 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 25 2022 - 3:55 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Solenopsis Invicta and Geminata: They are escape artists and grow too fast unless if you have $1000 you want to burn. Also them escaping and killing your other colonies
Monomorium Minimum: Hard to contain, even worse to keep then Geminata or Invicta. They can't take down most insects and they easily die, Boring and relatively difficult to keep. If you like big numbers keep Pheidole or Tetramorium. Not Monomorium Minimum

I have never even seen a tetramorium or Pheidole colony before. I have seen one or two monomorium colonies in my area though.

#23 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 25 2022 - 7:05 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Personally, I don't like keeping:
Solenopsis molesta - small, destructive

Ex kuse moi. Solenopsis molesta are awesome ants and not destructive.

Ever try keeping them in... well, any nest at all?

Si Señor.

#24 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 25 2022 - 2:43 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Monomorium ergatogyna: Basically M. minimum, but more abundant in California. They're escape artists and have gotten out of almost every formicarium I've put them in (except for a sealed one with zero openings at all for them to escape out of, which I ended up neglecting). On the plus side, they're easy to find (they don't fly, but I dig up small portions of wild colonies), are extremely polygynous, and are inbreeders, so it's pretty easy to get a big colony out of a few queens and workers in no time.

Tetramorium immigrans: Fun at first because they grow insanely fast, but get way too hard to deal with over time. They get past barriers easily and empty feeders faster than you'd ever believe. Despite that, I'll have another go at them next year...

Prenolepis imparis: They grow insanely slowly, have a rather high mortality rate, and diapause in the summer. They're actually not that bad in my opinion, since you can just leave them alone for half the year (in the founding stage at least) and focus on your other ants, then while your other ants are in hibernation you'll have some time for them.

Tapinoma sessile: So annoying because they never move the way you want them to. I tried to move a queen and a few workers from the deli cup I caught them with into a test tube, but they refused to nest in the tube. Instead, they seemed to be more interested in just putting all their brood and chilling at the bottom of the cup. I had to dump them into the tube in the end.

Linepithema humile: We all know why lmao.

Same with the monomorium. Only thing that contains mine is Vaseline. They can even get out of the lid to the mini hearth.
  • bmb1bee likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#25 Offline AntsNY123 - Posted October 25 2022 - 3:44 PM

AntsNY123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

Teteramorum immigrans and camponotus chromaiodes
T immigrans escaping and riadeing my other colonys
C chromaides they came with 40 workers
And now are down to 4 workers

C. chromaiodes is a dream to keep. They grow fast and are really big. I got a 1 queen colony, 80 workers and 2 majors

#26 Offline AntsNY123 - Posted October 25 2022 - 3:45 PM

AntsNY123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

Solenopsis Invicta and Geminata: They are escape artists and grow too fast unless if you have $1000 you want to burn. Also them escaping and killing your other colonies
Monomorium Minimum: Hard to contain, even worse to keep then Geminata or Invicta. They can't take down most insects and they easily die, Boring and relatively difficult to keep. If you like big numbers keep Pheidole or Tetramorium. Not Monomorium Minimum

I have never even seen a tetramorium or Pheidole colony before. I have seen one or two monomorium colonies in my area though.

Is the ant in ur pfp Phedole Tysoni?

#27 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 25 2022 - 3:59 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Same with the monomorium. Only thing that contains mine is Vaseline. They can even get out of the lid to the mini hearth.

Mine can crawl over Vaseline given enough time. I haven't tried any other barriers on them though. The talcum/alcohol mix I use keeps out ants for a little while, but doesn't last as long as Vaseline.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 25 2022 - 4:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Mine can crawl over Vaseline given enough time. I haven't tried any other barriers on them though. The talcum/alcohol mix I use keeps out ants for a little while, but doesn't last as long as Vaseline.
I’m confident my CrematoProof brand outworlds can hold them. If they can contain Crematogaster, they can contain anything.
  • bmb1bee likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 25 2022 - 6:09 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I might try to keep crematogaster. They are reasonably common around my area.

#30 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 25 2022 - 6:11 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Is the ant in ur pfp Phedole Tysoni?
I honestly don't know.

#31 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 26 2022 - 2:22 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
It's Pheidole morrisii

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk
  • antsriondel likes this

#32 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:32 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

You've never seen a pheidole colony? I feel so lucky to have so many of them in my yard.. Mostly my front yard but there are also some in my back yard.

Where do you live, if I may ask?
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#33 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:43 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

You've never seen a pheidole colony? I feel so lucky to have so many of them in my yard.. Mostly my front yard but there are also some in my back yard.
Where do you live, if I may ask?
Atlanta. I think I might have seen a major of something that looked like pheidole four or so days after making that post. It was super tiny though so i am not sure. I also might have seen a worker while anting but it was a passing glance and i didn't have time to look at it before it disappeared, but yes i have never seen an actual colony before. I have seen a bunch of new species in my yard this fall so hopefully some biodiversity returns to my area.

#34 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:51 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I love Atlanta! I am from Pensacola, I'm not sure if you've heard of us or not. I used to be stationed in Augusta, GA.. I feel like the sand and climate are similar to Pensacola (its probably more humid here, maybe a little hotter.. But not by TOO much). We do get less seasons here, though.

Man! I hope you find a pheidole colony soon, they are cool looking. The ones in my backyard got identified as p. Obscurithorax, but there are plwnty of other Pheidole species here.

I actually thought the pheidole were little black garden ants (that's a lasius species, right?) until a major came out to break up a little cricket I found in the yard and crushed for them. (It had already jumped about a foot and a half from their best so I snatched it up)

they're so small and cute! I thought the majors would be bigger 😂 I forget how small ants are the first time I saw one

#35 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 10 2022 - 4:58 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thanks! Most of the soil around where i live is more clay. There are some areas that have sandy soil though.

#36 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 2 2022 - 7:53 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I don't dislike any ant species but some do annoy me, like formica with every time I try to feed them they spray formic acid up at me (this applies for all the formica I have kept beside the Darkwings and Queen Glory).

• AntsCali098 likes this

#37 Offline Stmendoza1011 - Posted December 26 2022 - 8:14 AM

Stmendoza1011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA
ARGENTINE ANTS CAN GO TO H*LL
  • OiledOlives and antscientist like this

#38 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted January 3 2023 - 12:09 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida
Solenopsis Invicta
My dream species has always been Lasius. And I found a queen raised her to 24 workers and then some how some Invicta workers get into the house kill them overnight and in the morning I wakeup to find Invicta workers carrying pieces of my Lasius queen, workers and brood.

Edited by asim, January 3 2023 - 12:09 PM.

#39 Offline Flu1d - Posted January 3 2023 - 2:47 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Solenopsis Invicta
My dream species has always been Lasius. And I found a queen raised her to 24 workers and then some how some Invicta workers get into the house kill them overnight and in the morning I wakeup to find Invicta workers carrying pieces of my Lasius queen, workers and brood.

Invasives invading

#40 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted January 4 2023 - 7:01 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I'm pretty sure before B. chinensis invaded my yard a had one or two H. Opacior colonies so i want to say again that they suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users