• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Simultaneous two-species flight in Seattle, WA tonight!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline prettycode - Posted July 30 2015 - 10:20 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Was working in office with porch door open and ants started flying in to the computer monitor's light. Two distinct species.

Time: 9:30 PM - 10:30 PM

Weather: Heavy day of rain three days ago, sunny since; high 80s F today, 74 F at time of flight

First species is tetramorium. I think. Completely black and 2 - 2.5 mm. Caught 17 and put each one in its own ziplock bags, in cool basement, until test tubes arrive Friday.

The other species is TINY! Golden in color about 1 mm or less, they almost looked like fruit flies. Gave two their own isolated bags, and put about 15 all together in one tupperware, and another 15 in another tupperware.

In the tupperwares, they appear to be fighting a little bit. That, or they're kissing--which I'm sure they're not. I'm worried that they'll all kill each other before I can put them in test tubes on Friday. What do you guys think? Is fighting typical for multiple queens in a single temporary container?

Will post pictures when I get them in test tubes.

Edited by prettycode, July 31 2015 - 7:42 AM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 30 2015 - 10:53 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Fighting seems typical in most queens especially Formacine ants from what I heard. Myrmicinae don't do it all the time.

• prettycode likes this

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted July 31 2015 - 6:24 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

There is a large different between fighting and trophallaxis.  I am not sure if Tetramorium queens co-exist easily.

You could use other ways to seperate them.  Putting one each in a pill bottle, piece of vinyl tubing, even a large straw.  Plug both ends with cotton and wet one end for humidity until your test tubes arrive.  Dollar stores even those those nice little paint containers or sometimes even plastic test tubes in the party section.

• prettycode likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline prettycode - Posted July 31 2015 - 7:47 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

There is a large different between fighting and trophallaxis.  I am not sure if Tetramorium queens co-exist easily.

You could use other ways to seperate them.  Putting one each in a pill bottle, piece of vinyl tubing, even a large straw.  Plug both ends with cotton and wet one end for humidity until your test tubes arrive.  Dollar stores even those those nice little paint containers or sometimes even plastic test tubes in the party section.

The Tetramorium are all isolated by themselves. They're big enough that I could do this fairly easily. 

This other tiny species are the ones that are all living together for about 24 hours until I get them into test tubes. I cannot wait to get some pictures of them--I've never seen these ants before.

Pretty new to anting so have no clue what these species really are. Tetramorium is a guess but I think it's probably right; this other microscopic species--who knows.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted July 31 2015 - 8:50 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

How small is small?  I wonder if they are Solenopsis molesta or Brachmyrmex....

We would need clear pictures to ID them.

• prettycode and LC3 like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline prettycode - Posted July 31 2015 - 9:02 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

How small is small?  I wonder if they are Solenopsis molesta or Brachmyrmex....

We would need clear pictures to ID them.

Pretty sure they're Solenopsis molesta, now that you mention it. They're all about 1 mm, with the smallest at 0.5 mm and the largest at 1.5 mm.

Will post pictures tonight or tomorrow. 

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted July 31 2015 - 11:54 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Roachant has two Tetra queens co-existing and William said that it's possible they can co-exist during the founding stages.. I've also heard reports of polygynous Tetra colonies (usually containing two queens).

#8 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 31 2015 - 1:41 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I think you aren't measuring correctly.

#9 Offline prettycode - Posted July 31 2015 - 1:53 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Came home today, about 14 hours later, and out of the close to 50 ants, there's appears to be only 4 that are still alive. Major bummer. Not sure what to think; is the stress of being captured enough to kill them?

About to attempt to photograph these guys.

#10 Offline prettycode - Posted July 31 2015 - 2:10 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I think you aren't measuring correctly.

You're right--thanks! The ticks on the instrument I used are 2 mm, not 1 mm. So multiply the numbers by two.

#11 Offline Miles - Posted July 31 2015 - 5:10 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Very likely that this is Brachymyrmex depilis. We had an absolutely massive flight of that species last night. QHERRH6RDZ7ZPLFLAL7ZBLXZ9LLZ9LMRFZXRWLSR

Edited by Miles, July 31 2015 - 5:10 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users