• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NASA: California Drought Causing Valley Land to Sink

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTexas - Posted August 19 2015 - 6:19 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

As Californians continue pumping groundwater in response to the historic drought, the California Department of Water Resources today released a new NASA report showing land in the San Joaquin Valley is sinking faster than ever before, nearly 2 inches (5 centimeters) per month in some locations

http://www.jpl.nasa....linkId=16422517

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted August 19 2015 - 6:57 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Interesting.

I wonder if they offer maps like that for other locations as well...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted August 19 2015 - 7:40 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
The ground sinks because the water is no longer there and gravity pulls down and fills the void? That's what I'm thinking. I have not heard of this before. What happens if it rains a lot? I doubt the ground can go back up. I'm guessing the storage will never be the same once the ground level changes.
  • LC3 likes this

#4 Offline William. T - Posted August 20 2015 - 5:44 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

The ground sinks because the water is no longer there and gravity pulls down and fills the void? That's what I'm thinking. I have not heard of this before. What happens if it rains a lot? I doubt the ground can go back up. I'm guessing the storage will never be the same once the ground level changes.

I think the ground would be a soggy mess if there are any rains. On the bright side, Argentines don't like the change in moisture levels.

Edited by William. T, August 20 2015 - 5:44 AM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#5 Offline AntsTexas - Posted August 20 2015 - 6:25 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

mud/ground slides too?

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 20 2015 - 7:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, the farms are sucking the land dry.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 20 2015 - 9:51 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

You've essentially hit the nail on the head. Pore water pressure (water filling the voids between soil grains) helps hold the structure of the ground. If a significant amount of that water is removed, the voids have nothing to keep their shape and collapse. And yes, once it collapses, it can't be restored. This is how groundwater basins can be permanently destroyed due to overpumping.

Most groundwater basins in urban Socal are adjudicated, in other words, regulated as a result of lawsuits which led to judicial proceedings and hydrogeologic studies that govern who can pump how much so the basins won't be overpumped. Most of the Central Valley is unadjudicated so it's a free for all, but that will hopefully change with the passing of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act that was designed to address this issue.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users