• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mazmurlo's Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Journal

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mazmurlo - Posted September 27 2022 - 10:28 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Received late Spring from the East Coast as a queen with eggs. 

FA16D17C-4843-4AB6-A387-78691CEE8FBC.jpg

She had a very big first gen, 11 workers, one of which was a media. :D I put her and her nanitics in a formisquarium where they are now.  B)

B70F582D-DEA9-4A80-B939-C3DE7B973FF8.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to hydrate their setup, and all but the queen, the media, one or two minors, and some pupae made it.  :dash:  :dash2:  :angry:  However, with a lot of feeding, they're now doing great, with a ton of workers and brood!  :afro:

BE6D4001-9767-4C14-AEE6-BB65CCD665A9.jpg

So that's it! If you like this journal, please rate it 5/5 and bump it by replying!  :help:  :sick:

#2 Offline mazmurlo - Posted September 27 2022 - 10:30 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

She had a very big first gen, 11 workers, one of which was a media. :D I put her and her nanitics in a formisquarium where they are now.  B)

Unfortunately I forgot to hydrate their setup, and all but the queen, the media, one or two minors, and some pupae made it.  :dash:  :dash2:  :angry:  However, with a lot of feeding, they're now doing great, with a ton of workers and brood!  :afro:

So that's it! If you like this journal, please rate it 5/5 and bump it by replying!  :help:  :sick:

true!!

• Somethinghmm likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 28 2022 - 12:26 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

That built up humidity on the lid is waiting on a slight vibration and it's all over for those ants.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline mazmurlo - Posted September 28 2022 - 7:51 AM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

That built up humidity on the lid is waiting on a slight vibration and it's all over for those ants.

They've been fine so far. 

#5 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted September 28 2022 - 9:22 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Update!!!!
  • mazmurlo likes this

#6 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted September 28 2022 - 1:15 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Literally Less than 24 hours have passed. Nothing would have changed
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#7 Offline mazmurlo - Posted October 3 2022 - 3:55 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

true!!

They've been fine so far. 

TO MUCH ADO!

I've continued feeding them their required (per European caresheet on related Camponotus species) every 2 weeks, and they've been exploding. If they keep up like this I might get a Neivamyrmex colony, who knows.  ;)

• Somethinghmm and United-Ants like this

#8 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 3 2022 - 4:47 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Good job! Amazing colony and very fast growth! Will definitely be following the progress of your exotic Camponotus pennsylvanicus (Eastern Black Carpenter Ant) colony.

• Somethinghmm and mazmurlo like this

#9 Offline mazmurlo - Posted October 3 2022 - 4:54 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Good job! Amazing colony and very fast growth! Will definitely be following the progress of your exotic Camponotus pennsylvanicus (Eastern Black Carpenter Ant) colony.

Thank you!

OiledOlives, on 03 Oct 2022 - 5:47 PM, said:snapback.png

Thank you!

• OiledOlives likes this

#10 Offline Guest__007399_* - Posted October 3 2022 - 4:56 PM

Guest__007399_*
  • Guests
Hello mazmurlo. Bootytickler123 here, after the years of me antkeeping in california I have realized that camponotus pennslivus is a exotic and illegal species to keep in the state of California. So me, and many included ask this question, are these illegaly kept? If released they will cause great panic in california and slowly take over the state. Please kill them now if they are illegal. This species is exotic.
  • Somethinghmm, OiledOlives, KadinB and 2 others like this

#11 Offline United-Ants - Posted October 3 2022 - 5:50 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Why kill them if they are illegal just keep them and don't release them

Edited by United-Ants, October 3 2022 - 5:50 PM.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2022 - 5:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Let’s calm down everyone.
  • bmb1bee likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 3 2022 - 6:52 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hello mazmurlo. Bootytickler123 here, after the years of me antkeeping in california I have realized that camponotus pennslivus is a exotic and illegal species to keep in the state of California. So me, and many included ask this question, are these illegaly kept? If released they will cause great panic in california and slowly take over the state. Please kill them now if they are illegal. This species is exotic.

It seems like you just joined the forum to warn him about keeping exotic ants? Also, it's a little bold to assume that "many included ask this question," as no one else has asked yet (besides you). Not sure about here, but it's additionally worth noting that it is possible to obtain permits for C. pennsylvanicus here in California, or at least purchase some from AntsEmporium, who has a permit to sell them to Cali. Let's not jump to conclusions yet. Apologies to maz for cluttering up your journal.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#14 Offline mazmurlo - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:10 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

The indignity of people nowadays. Why can't I keep what I want to keep?  :mad:

• ZTYguy, OiledOlives, KadinB and 2 others like this

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The indignity of people nowadays. Why can't I keep what I want to keep?  :mad:

It's a troll account. Ignore it.

• Somethinghmm and mazmurlo like this

#16 Offline Guest__007399_* - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:37 PM

Guest__007399_*
  • Guests
Hello dspdrew, I realize you own this forum and I would like to say that I am not a troll account. I am just warning this ant keeper about the dangers of keeping exotics species. Also Bumblebee Antsemporium aka the owner, garret is a bad person and faked permits. So if you buy from him you are also keeping stuff illegaly.
  • OiledOlives likes this

#17 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:48 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello dspdrew, I realize you own this forum and I would like to say that I am not a troll account. I am just warning this ant keeper about the dangers of keeping exotics species. Also Bumblebee Antsemporium aka the owner, garret is a bad person and faked permits. So if you buy from him you are also keeping stuff illegaly.

bro a 20 worker C. Pennsylvanicus colony ain't gonna cause cali to go into a lock down, and there so abundant anyway this is like trying to tell AC not to keep fire ants ( I know he's a troll account but just wanted to give my two cents 🙃)
  • bmb1bee, mazmurlo and United-Ants like this

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Stricky, do you think I am stupid? You have 5 other fake accounts too. I don't have time to deal with this BS. I sent you a PM asking which account you want to keep. Answer it or I will pick for you.

• B_rad0806, Somethinghmm, KadinB and 3 others like this

#19 Offline Guest__007399_* - Posted October 3 2022 - 7:51 PM

Guest__007399_*
  • Guests
Pick my oldest one from March 2020 it was my og account it was called stricky or smth

#20 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted October 3 2022 - 8:10 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

wow MazMurlo what an awesome colon y! I love Eastern Black Carpenter ants. Make sure they don't escape though because they might be invasive and infest and ear your home!!

• OiledOlives, NancyZamora4991, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users