• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. sansabeanus killed by Argentines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:03 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I've had this small colony for almost a year now, and though I've never been able to get them to grow beyond a couple of workers, I enjoyed their unique size and coloration. After they almost died out from lack of brood, I hibernated them over the winter and since then they have been making some brood progress, hatching a third worker larger than the others only last week with four more pupae and maybe ten brood all together. Nothing compared to my other colonies, but for all the trouble I have gone through trying to keep them alive at all, it was enough to give me hope that I could get them to a decent size by their next hibernation. However, last night I was doing a rearrangement of my room and chose to move their pencil box formicarium from my closet to a shelf where I could view them better. Unfortunately, I didn't take into account the fact that recently Argentine ants had been recently making a much larger presence on those shelves, even going so far as to swarm a bag of crickets I had lying around, and my honey bottle. I know it was stupid that I didn't consider the threat, but I have never had a colony be attacked by them before, even keeping my Liometopum occidentale in a Fortress on that same shelf with no issue. Anyways, this morning I happened to look over at their nest and see the queen lying outside on her back, twitching. As soon as I looked closer I saw that the entire setup was swarming with Argentines, and the entire brood and colony besides the queen was gone. I quickly retrieved her, but by that point she was clearly on the brink of death, with her entire brood eaten and her workers in pieces. At this point, there is nothing I can do for them, so I collected what I could of them and threw away the entire setup. Here is a picture of the remains of the colony including their hardly-living queen. I want to warn anyone who lives in an area where Linepithema humile or a similar small, aggressive pest ant is common to be careful with where they put colonies in setups that are easy to escape from, especially pencil case outworlds.

PXL 20210704 200603820

• Antkeeper01 likes this

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 4 2021 - 2:18 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

i am so so sorry, argentines deserve to burn

• TestSubjectOne likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline ants123 - Posted September 26 2022 - 6:04 AM

ants123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

how do i raise argentine ants

#4 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted September 26 2022 - 1:16 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Guys don't make this a debate thread, all it'll do is create spam.

But if you really want to keep argies, you can just go outside and catch some they are literally the easiestants to find, they usually house under rocks or logs. Argies will create colonies with hundreds of queens, but j will warn you that they are really good at escaping, they are also extremely picky, you'll have to change there diet after only two days or else they won't eat .

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, September 26 2022 - 1:17 PM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 26 2022 - 3:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Give me the word, and I’ll lock the thread.
  • Ants_Dakota and That_one_ant_guy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline DevinTheAntKeeper - Posted September 26 2022 - 8:48 PM

DevinTheAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

hmmmm have you ever heard of burning arges?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users