• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Big Tetramorium Immigrans Colonies?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline The530Ski - Posted August 22 2022 - 5:52 AM

The530Ski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationShasta Lake California
So I came across a queen 2 seasons ago and the colony is absolutely booming! Does anybody have pictures or videos of setups for their larger tetramorium colonies?

#2 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 22 2022 - 7:02 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationOregon

I guess one could call my colony a bit on the larger side? They are so tiny, it's hard to think of them that way. 

gallery_5988_2063_440256.jpg

gallery_5988_2063_1102381.jpg

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#3 Offline The530Ski - Posted August 22 2022 - 9:52 AM

The530Ski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationShasta Lake California
Nice job! How old is the colony?

#4 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 22 2022 - 9:58 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationOregon

Nice job! How old is the colony?

A little over a year old. 

• The530Ski likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted August 22 2022 - 12:07 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

This Tetramorium colony is in its' second season.  The queen started out in the small unit to the right which has chambers formed from grout.  I added the second chamber in the middle this spring.  It is a natural setup with soil for them to make chambers.   There is a rock in the center of the setup so their tunnels are on the outside, which are quite visible despite having no red cellophane or blackout cover.  Originally the second chamber was only half filled with soil, but their excavations have continued to move soil higher and higher.  I used to feed them in this chamber, but eventually I had to add an outworld (on the left) as they continued to pile soil on everything in the second chamber.   At this point, I believe the first (smaller) chamber is where the queen resides with her eggs and young.  They move larger larvae and pupae into the second chamber.   I have no idea how many ants are in this setup but they feed as vigorously as my three year old colony.

2022-08-21 002.JPG

This is my three year old Tetramorium colony.  They are housed in a natural setup, which they just love to dig in.  There is a piece of 2x4 in the center of the container on the right, but their tunnels aren't very visible.  The container was half filled with soil in spring when I "dumped" them in from their founding formicarium.  I used to feed them in this setup, but they moved enough soil on top of everything that I added an outworld with a length of tubing for exercise on the way.  Now the large chamber is entirely nest.

2022-07-11 008.JPG

• The530Ski and FinWins like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users