• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Weird Pogomyrmex behavior? Intelligence?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted August 21 2022 - 2:24 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So today I looked in at my growing Pogomyrmex rugosus colony that live in a tubs and tubes setup. Now they have two tubes one that they live in and have brood and the queen in and one that is empty. However the weird behavior is that the empty tube isn’t empty, they’re using it as a secondary seed storage. They have collected lots of seeds and stored them there, they also have seed store in the other tube that they live in and it isn’t that big so why would they make two small seed stores instead of one big one? Could this be evidence of ants knowing not to put all their eggs (seeds) in one basket? 
What is your opinion.

• futurebird likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted August 21 2022 - 3:21 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Ants follow dead simple rules that together add up to complex patterns of behaviour. My first guess would be that an ant retrieving a seed didn't notice the main pile, so started a new one. Now both piles are acceptable place to put seeds based on the dead simple ant rule of "put things that are the same in the same place"

There may be some other rules playing a role, however. Such as "don't let any pile of the same thing get *too* big" or even something like you suggest a kind of "If an item is in only one location, and there are a lot of that item start a new different location."

But whatever the rules are driving this the ants probably aren't thinking about "what might happen if part of the nest is destroyed"

If that makes any sense...

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted August 21 2022 - 3:29 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Ants follow dead simple rules that together add up to complex patterns of behaviour. My first guess would be that an ant retrieving a seed didn't notice the main pile, so started a new one. Now both piles are acceptable place to put seeds based on the dead simple ant rule of "put things that are the same in the same place"

There may be some other rules playing a role, however. Such as "don't let any pile of the same thing get *too* big" or even something like you suggest a kind of "If an item is in only one location, and there are a lot of that item start a new different location."

But whatever the rules are driving this the ants probably aren't thinking about "what might happen if part of the nest is destroyed"

If that makes any sense...

That’s what I thought. After I uncovered the seed test tube they moved out most of the seeds in there and transferred them to the nest. I guess they’re try to hide it of course.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 22 2022 - 7:08 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationOregon

I've noticed my colonies of Pogonomyrmex do this, as well as shift the seeds from chamber to chamber. 

• TypeD and FinWins like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#5 Offline TypeD - Posted August 22 2022 - 10:25 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

I've noticed my colonies of Pogonomyrmex do this, as well as shift the seeds from chamber to chamber. 

Same here. I've got them in a vivarium, and I notice this especially when I water the soil or adjust what part of the glass I'm heating. I figure sometimes it has to do with preserving the seeds.

• FinWins likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users